Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Your High School era in Music: Let's have some fun
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2609437&mesg_id=2609753
2609753, RE: Your High School era in Music: Let's have some fun
Posted by ajiav, Sat Oct-01-11 07:09 PM
At the time, high school here was 10th -12th grade, so that's late Aug. 1995 through May 1998, age fifteen through eighteen.

Some stuff around that time was listening to heavily incl. Zappa, Outkast, Wu-tang, Bjork, Aphex Twin, Ween, Prince, Ministry, Mr. Bungle, Ice-T, Afghan Whigs, Dinosaur Jr, Pharcyde, Marvin Gaye, Velvet Underground, Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, but a lot of that I had started listening to pre-high school. I did start following 'paths' more closely though, e.g. Zappa leading to Dolphy to Mingus, Zappa to Varese and Webern, Ministry to Dead Kennedys via Lard, Bowie to Eno to John Cage, which then could connect back to something like Aphex Twin, etc., so was beginning to make connections and think about that a little more, MTV or BET weren't my only sources anymore.

(edit: I also recall very late in that period starting to order music that I had never heard anything by, just because I had read about it and was interested, which was also a significant development --- Serge Gainsbourg, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, and the Japanese shibuya-kei stuff come to mind.)