Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectnah no prob I fell asleep last night lol
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2608390&mesg_id=2609215
2609215, nah no prob I fell asleep last night lol
Posted by Artful Dodger, Fri Sep-30-11 11:59 AM
Radiohead seems to be the band that most people name.
I honestly Radiohead is more gimmick than substance.

=== I have heard this before from non Radiohead fans and it's a huge untruth. I often times think that most people who are not fans have no idea really and truly what they are doing live. I could be wrong tho. The fact that they have went from rock to rock/electrofusion, and done so poetically, sonically, and have someone still remained both the world's most famous band and underground band is just...
a revelation. ====

I love some of their work…but some of it comes off as being creative for the sake of being creative. With that said, I understand people naming them.

===== I hear you, could just not be your thing. Maybe it's just exposure? Alot of their career has been so closely followed that having the chance to take the ride with them has been great. I know some people who tried to dive into their work and just couldn't get it. I would imagine that's the case with most bands that challenge the ear.

Stereolab to me is a great band but they just don't have the same quality as Wilco.

======= Aw bro, I totally disagree. Wilco doesn't have a Dots and Loops... and by and far Stereolab has taken way more sonic and musical chances than Wilco ever has. In fact I find Wilco very safe, a good solid band, but safe when stacked against Radiohead or Stereolab. Now in terms of engineering and mix I often think that while taking those challenges it's also difficult to mix. Whereas safer bands already have a platform to base off of. No disrespect to Wilco cause I love Interpol - and truth be it told they are fairly safe for their lane. I fucking LOVE their lane tho. =========

Sea and Cake I am definitely not up on so I need to check them out. That was the underlying point of my other post, I wanted to get recommendations as well so thanks.

======== Definitely you will love em. The lead singer also has a series of albums that are equally excellent. in fact they have a whole collective of musicians from Sea and Cake, Stereolab. They alsdo dj and do a ton of electro records under various names sorta like the whole Tom Tom Club/Talking Heads thing. ===========

The Cure…Nah…they're decent. But what I've been getting at is that (and this is if you like Wilco) Wilco doesn't miss. They are damn near perfect at such a high level it's damn near unmatchable.

========= I hear you and your right it's all opinion. Wilco doesn't have a KissMe Kiss Me Kiss Me in my opinion but there you have it, I'm huge on them so. Ya know it's open to opinion. ======

Lamb…see Sea and Cake.

======== Lamb is everything Portishead tried to be. Even smaller in outfit but just fantastic. Sea & Cake are just incredible. ======