Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSure, but we're still gonna talk about it, right? :)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2608390&mesg_id=2608616
2608616, Sure, but we're still gonna talk about it, right? :)
Posted by dalecooper, Thu Sep-29-11 01:03 PM
Anyway, there's no denying that RFL doesn't meet the criteria - it's three years early. Here's what they have that falls within the last 25 years:

I Against I
Quickness
Rise
God of Love
I & I Survived
Build a Nation

Most Brains fans are only willing to go out on a limb for the first two. "Build a Nation" has some supporters but I don't think anybody would call it a classic, not by Brains standards (or any standards really). Nobody I know is fond of "God of Love" and even fewer like "Rise." "I & I Survived" is basically just a solid dub album and not much more - it's convincing, but I think if you're a dub head this is about the fiftieth album you'd think to listen to when in the mood for serious, deep dub tracks. Plus I think a lot of people just passed on it because they wanted the classic sound of the Bad Brains, and this clearly isn't it. I didn't count live albums because I just don't care about them, but I guess you could add a little something that way... still, I don't see near as much strength in this part of their discography as I do in 1982-89 (the REAL glory years).