Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I've never been to Brooklyn, and he's my GOAT
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2608374&mesg_id=2609278
2609278, RE: I've never been to Brooklyn, and he's my GOAT
Posted by cidolfas, Fri Sep-30-11 01:33 PM
>>>Big a better storyteller than Nas? Word? lol.

Yes, he is, actually. Nas is fantastic, the second best storyteller, but it really takes a song like "Shootouts" to better compare. Concept songs don't always fit the bill.

>I feel Big is completely incapable
>of doing a collaborative effort like Distant Relatives like
>Nas did with Marley.

I fail how to see how this is relative to the discussion at hand. Nas is my GOAT but that album wasn't very listenable for me. It was too reggae influenced and some of it wasn't as good as it was getting praised. Overall, how does one's ability to work in a group setting correlate to the title of GOAT?

>Big has
>never done something where I've said to myself I wish I could
>do that because he is pretty simple and basic compared to the
>greatest

Seemingly simple =/= simple. That's the point. It's supposed to appear effortless. There's nothing simple about Big. He was as complex as Nas has ever been, though less poetic at times.

>did I mention his stage show, a key factor in being
>a great mc was WACK!

Since I'm at the library I can't search for the link, but will someone please post a YouTube of Big killing a show that him and Nas are both present for? Nas spits some shit off 'It Was Written' to mediocre response from the crowd (Nas's presence is weak), and then Big crushes and steals the show.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have Big as my number one, but I'll be damned if he wasn't close while he was alive. And he continues to have a strong presence in the game with his legacy of only two albums and Jay-Z vamping his whole style.