Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectLet's break these down one by one, shall we?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2608374&mesg_id=2608787
2608787, Let's break these down one by one, shall we?
Posted by CMcMurtry, Thu Sep-29-11 04:04 PM
>Outkast

We're talking group vs. solo act, so it's a tough comparison. Andre's in the discussion though, and if someone says he's #1, I don't call them crazy.

>NWA

Ehhhhhh. I dunno if the sophmore is great.

>Ice Cube

Yup.

>Nas

Yup.

>Jay-Z

No, but that's me. I do think Jay's in the conversation.

>EPMD

They have great albums, but I never see either dude reference as a GOAT. And their prime was before my time, so I'm not a fair judge perhaps.

>Rakim

Yup.

>Big Daddy Kane

Yup.

>Tupac

Yup.

>Mobb Deep

Yes, but again, the whole group vs. solo. P's a personal favorite but I'd have a hard time top 10ing dude.

>LL Cool J

Ehhhh.

>Dr Dre

Album wise, sure.

>DMX

LOL fuck outta here. Those albums were great at the time, but they don't hold up well AT ALL. I like X though. He's an important hip hop figure.

>Common

Hmmm.

>Redman

Yup.

>Ghostface

On the fence.

>Rae

Two? No. Too soon to say about OB4CL2.

>Wu-Tang

Not a fair comparison, IMO.

>I mean, half a dozen? I could go on for days.

Half dozen may have been a misstatement. But it's not like it's 20 either. Not at the level of those two albums.

Anyway, my beef with your stance, and many others, isn't that you don't think Biggie is the best. There is no one right answer to the question of who the greatest rapper is. There are about 10 that I'll accept.

But I take issue with people who suggest Biggie isn't in the conversation. That those of us who feel that way are out to lunch or drinking some media or Sean Combs Kool-Aid. Dude was ILL and changed rap music forever.