Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBut technical MC skills aren't everything
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2607824&mesg_id=2608233
2608233, But technical MC skills aren't everything
Posted by zuma1986, Wed Sep-28-11 10:23 PM
Kanye created a fully developed character and talked about things that ppl could relate to or enjoy. As well as created music that hinted to a previous era that mainstream hip hop was so far away from. So although he lacked skills he still kept it interesting and enjoyable. I can appreciate rappers with just lots of technical skills but I can't say I'm running to hear them too often.

And yes I know a lot of ppl will say "not having technical MC skills is what's killing hip hop nowadays" and that's not true at all. I'll gladly take Kanye over Canibus or ODB over Big L, b/c talent doesn't mean you can make great music. It's not a skills competition, it's whoever can hold my interest the most and the longest competition. The best rappers in my opinion are the ones that have lots of technical skills and have a fully developed character (Nas, KRS-One, Common). There's no point in having skills if you can't use them effectively.