Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: who was ghost writing for dre on 'the chronic'?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2606048&mesg_id=2608162
2608162, RE: who was ghost writing for dre on 'the chronic'?
Posted by NastySpice96, Wed Sep-28-11 08:16 PM
had no idea Deadly Threat and MF Grimm were involved.

I was told, mostly on dubcnn forums, that Dre's verses on the Chronic were ghost written by Snoop, RBX, and The DOC.

The DOC did lil ghetto boy and n***a wit a gun.

RBX did let me ride and probably the day the n***a's took over.

snoop did g thang and deep cover, and more i'm not sure which ones though.

a lot of the dubcnn insider's were saying that DOC only did those two songs i listed above, and rbx and snoop basically went 50/50 on the rest.

had NO idea that deadly threat was a part of the chronic sessions.

deadly threat was part of snoop's doggystyle records crew (maybe even signed to the label) in 1995 and was going to be heavily featured on the doggstyle records compilation album "haven't you heard" that was supposed to come out in 95 (and was recently released through wideawake with a slightly altered tracklist). idt he was really associated with death row before that.

there is a lot we don't know about the recording of the chronic. like all of those death row releases it is completely shrouded in mystery. erotic d claims that dre started the album with him and the doc right after NWA ended. even before snoop came in. erotic d left early on in the recording process tho.

snoop said, i think, that deep cover and g thang were two of the first songs he did with dre. that makes sense since they (and their respective remixes) have a totally different sound texture than the rest of the chronic songs. they were probably made in a diff studio w/ different equipment.

back to the ghostwriting thing, its crazy how during the nwa doc and cube did all of dre's lyrics... then it was snoop doc and rbx... then for a while (like 94-98) it was j-flexx and drauma (maybe king t too)... then starting in the 2001 sessions he started using a zillion ghostwriters and its been so many cooks in the kitchen ever since. he doesn't have go to guys anymore now its just him picking from a huge entre of lyrics supposedly :/