Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Let's go back in time to 1992 to the anticipation/release of The Chronic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2606048&mesg_id=2606353
2606353, RE: Let's go back in time to 1992 to the anticipation/release of The Chronic
Posted by G_The_SP, Sat Sep-24-11 11:07 PM
I was a child, but was old for my age and very observant. From what i can remember... and keep in my mind I lived in South Central Los Angeles for most of the '90s... that shit was audio gospel.

I heard Dre and Snoop everywhere I went pretty much. My mom had both The Chronic and Doggy Style on cassette and I would try to sneak and listen to them when i was home alone, even though my mom played them around me in the car all of the time.

Westcoast gangsta rap, particularly Dre and The Chronic was really the first hip-hop that grabbed me and made me pay attention to it and actively acknowledge it. I would say that it had a big impact on me, but ironically I turned out to be 180 from a gangsta, thug, or anything like that in adulthood.

It's an album that I listened to moreso several years after its release, as i approached my pre-teens. But I can't imagine 1993 in South Central without this album being it's official soundtrack.

Ironically, The Chronic is a huge part of my childhood.