Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSo you think all those acts I named get deals
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2606048&mesg_id=2606312
2606312, So you think all those acts I named get deals
Posted by bentagain, Sat Sep-24-11 07:09 PM
"From print, radio, shows booked etc it was a very New York centered Hip Hop world back then.That doesn't mean that every single person on the East Coast didn't listen to any West Coast but to act as if the lines of division weren't there is just inaccurate."

I feel like you bought that East/West bullshit.

I'm speaking from a consumer's perspective

Do you think all those acts I named get deals, videos, etc...if they aren't going to sell any records in half the country?

Take the Geto Boyz for example

When my minds playin tricks broke, nobody was like, oh wait a minute, these boyz aren't from around here, they might be from that other coast, let's not buy their stuff

HELL NO. That shit was dope, and that's all it had to be

My bol had a DJ Magic Mike tape, i can still hear the

Bing, bing, bing, bing, bing, bing, Bass, Bass

"A few kids liking an album does not equal Hip Hop unification during those times. That's just not the case. NWA in general got no radio play back then and certainly didn't get the type of attention on the East Coast that they did in the West or South. It was extremely rare back then for a Hip Hop group from the West to even play venues in NY."

And I'm telling you you're wrong.

NWA DID get play out here.

I can't speak on what the West and the South was playing to compare so I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with about who gave them more attention.

I still remember this girl gettin dissed because everytime she came around my bol would start singin...I got a fat girl on my jock

Everybody was rocking Raiders gear.

Don't even get me started on 2 Live Crew

As far as getting booked at venues, media, and print etc...there was a stigma over the entire genre

Folks thought going to a hip-hop show was like going to Vietnam

Couple that with the imagery of west coast videos, and I think it might be easy to infer the reason why a club owner might be hesitant to book them

You act like acts other than RUN DMC were getting booked for arena shows

Hip-hop shows were done in hole in the wall clubs, and an act flyin out to the east from the west would definitely be losing money