Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI'm merely correcting your statement about Hip Hop's lack of coastal issues back then
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2606048&mesg_id=2606308
2606308, I'm merely correcting your statement about Hip Hop's lack of coastal issues back then
Posted by Luke Cage, Sat Sep-24-11 06:23 PM
>we (we meaning the group of friends i grew up with)
>
>we bought: mc eight, compton's most wanted, too short, 2pac,
>king t, the alcaholics, del, souls of mischief, the pharcyde,
>mc breed, ice cube, the lynch mob, ice t, cypress hill, def
>jef, hammer, dj quik, sir mix a lot, saafir, kam, spice 1, the
>coup
>
>we bought everything

That's great that you and your crew were that open minded and bought everything but that just wasn't the general consensus. From print, radio, shows booked etc it was a very New York centered Hip Hop world back then. That doesn't mean that every single person on the East Coast didn't listen to any West Coast but to act as if the lines of division weren't there is just inaccurate.
>
>"the Chronic the first West Coast album to break through and
>get radio play and overall acceptance on the East Coast"
>
>are you saying that NWA didn't get any play on the east
>coast?
>
>because i could tell you a story about riding around in a
>stolen car with 100 miles and runnin in the deck

A few kids liking an album does not equal Hip Hop unification during those times. That's just not the case. NWA in general got no radio play back then and certainly didn't get the type of attention on the East Coast that they did in the West or South. It was extremely rare back then for a Hip Hop group from the West to even play venues in NY.
>
>the division i'm speaking of is from a consumer's perspective.
>
>
>you want to speak on the business side, speak on it
>
>you want to detail some beef, go for it
>
>i can only speak for myself
>
>