Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIn the moment
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2606048&mesg_id=2606205
2606205, In the moment
Posted by bentagain, Sat Sep-24-11 12:27 PM
None of this shit really registered at the time

"and remember Dr Dre on that source cover with the gun to his head and as has been mentioned the whole dee barnes fallout and situation.

it was a big time gamble that paid off.

some folks might laugh and think oh no biggie with Dr.Dre And Suge doing there thing but back then it was high stakes poker.

fast forward some years later and you had Puffy getting that 75 million start up credit for Bad Boy, then Master P with No limit, then Cash Money and there deal with Universal, to X Raided doing his thing, then of course rap alot, also murder inc...,etc....

and while rutheless got the ball rolling, it was Death Row that while at first a boutique label it stayed that way only for a short time, because the music was banging no pun itended and also the artists were big time and they did it up there big."

I remember the Dee Barnes situation and the mag cover (I think it was Vibe), but like I said, I was still a youngin, chasin panties, and worried about how tight my fade was.
The inner workings of business relations wasn't really interesting to me at the time.
It's a CRAZY story now.
Youngins might think that way.
Oh Dre started a record label, what's the big deal.
But back then, Dre had the co-sign.
He had beef with Dee Barnes, then Dee Barnes was corny.
He had beef with Eazy, then Eazy was wack.
He' puttin Snoop on, then Snoop must be nice.

"wallmart wasn't stocking that CD back then. that is another thing to remember the sticker scared folks.

that tape/cd got played a whole lot like crazy. i don't care what nobody says because i was there as were others, that to me was the last universal Hip-Hop release that it seemed everybody was on the same vibe with and then when Snoop dropped his debut it was a wrap and to me i still say that Dre and Snoop got robbed out of making magic because they were unfadeable for a good minute."

Exactly.
It's crazy too that this album had such a big impact without the internet.
The stickers, censorship, Tipper Gore, C Deleores, Cop Killer, FBI surveillance etc...
How could a major budget for an album centered around smoking weed by a member of NWA?
Looking back, it doesn't seem possible.