Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Yep.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2604474&mesg_id=2604612
2604612, RE: Yep.
Posted by Original Juice, Wed Sep-21-11 01:35 AM
Co-sign pretty much everything you and everyone above you has mentioned about the DOC.

"No One Can Do It Better" will always be in my top 5 as well. I champion it and the DOC any chance I get. He grabbed the torch from Rakim and ran with it without biting. He was meta in a way that wasn't nerdy. He ripped shit up and talked about it and the way he was doing it in a way that hadn't been done quite like that. He had charisma, voice control, and hardly cursed (I don't think he said "fuck" one time.. could be wrong) on that album.. yet it was raw. I mean.. he wasn't trying to come clean like Will Smith or anything.. his vocabulary and grammar was just so expansive and correct yet so street.. From the production to the album cover to the skits to the videos to the singles to the album cuts (even Beautiful but Deadly) to The Grand Finale.. that album is perfection.

Yes it was a tragedy that his voice was ruined and his subsequent solo albums were nowhere near that level, but he made his "one shot" count in a major way by crafting a modern day hip hop masterpiece.

Rhythmic American Poetry

White Bronco.