Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectyou're STILL wrong.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2600478&mesg_id=2601731
2601731, you're STILL wrong.
Posted by disco dj, Thu Sep-15-11 07:42 AM
>I just said you have to get a license.

umm. no. The liscence thing is for BUSINESSES. and even THEN it's not strictly enforced. If it's enforced at all. There was talk of it a few years back, but how do you explain the fact that 99.9999999999% of nightclubs have DJ's and or bands. I'm a working DJ and I've NEVER had to present a liscence inANY venue I've played.

Simply buying the
>record does not give you permission to play it in public or
>broadcast it over the radio.

You're just wrong, face up to it.

That's why there are
>representatives who go around to restaurants, bars, and clubs
>to try and get them to pay for a license.

I just addressed that.

Usually they get
>told to fuck off and the place gets away with it, but that's
>the law.

and if it was the *law*, don't you think those same bars and restaurants would do it? Why risk losing your business over a license? You think they tell the liquor board or the health department to "fuck off"? No. Why? because those are enforcable laws that would result in major penalties. If not, then a loss of some type of license, i.e the right to see food or booze. At best, it's probably something ASCAP BMI and the others *want* people to do.

>

>Don't try and argue with me dude, you clearly don't know what
>you're talking about.

Actually, that would be YOU. And again, if the buyer of the record doesn't Own it or have the right to play it in public, why do labels put out Club and DJ mixes, Genius? ( let alone the gazillion DJ promos they ship out )Explain that.

Noe to your point, I can't duplicate the shit ( like THAT ever stopped anybody) or use it in the background of a show, etc. without paying for it. But if I bought it as a listener, I can pretty much do whatever the fuck I want to do with it.