Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject'Entitled'? ...Fall back, son.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2600478&mesg_id=2600561
2600561, 'Entitled'? ...Fall back, son.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Sep-13-11 02:56 PM
That copy belongs to me. LEGALLY. I bought it.

The fact that there are limitations with regard to how I use the copy does not change the fact that as a material product, I bought it. It is MINE.

(By the way, I CAN play it in public and on the radio, and I do. I just can't make further copies of it.)

I'm not saying that I own the compositions or the mechanicals. But I own THAT copy that I paid for.

I didn't purchase "the rights to listen to it." I purchased a physical commodity which shall remain in my possession permanently.

If I don't call it "my copy," praytell: how should I describe it?

Look, dude: I have a pretty large record collection, including several rare records from private labels that no longer exist and whose masters have been lost. When labels want to reissue some of this music, they come to me master off MY copy of the record, which I bought. I've even had some instances where the label itself doesn't have the master or any copies of the record and so they come to me.

And you know what? They gotta pay me for the use of my record. Because while the MUSIC on the record may belong to them, the PHYSICAL OBJECT on which the music is stored is MINE. And there is no legal basis for them to come to me and say "Give us the record, because it's ours, we made it" etc

They made it and they sold it to me. I paid money for it that I could have used to feed my family.

Now it is MINE.

BY LAW!!!

This is simple commerce, commie.