Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectFor the record....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2600387&mesg_id=2601597
2601597, For the record....
Posted by denny, Wed Sep-14-11 09:51 PM
I don't like any of the racial stuff in this thread. Those terms Maxxx are using have their place and it's not here. But I also don't like the use of 'whitebread' in the post title.

I played competitive soccer when I was a kid and the teams were divided by ethnicity....italian, greek, etc. There wasn't a team that matched my roots but I was good so I ended up on the west indian team. Only 3 white guys including myself. We recruited a 4th white guy who had a phony jamaican accent and thought he'd try to fit in by making fun of me and my long hair and my general 'whiteness'.

I could take the occasional teasing from my teammates cause I knew there was a respect in the end. But when this other white guy was trying to do that shit I was furious and we fought it out right there. And I got the better of him via my forehead and his teeth. We were cool later on but I never truly forgot or forgave that about him.

So I can see how these terms like 'uncle tom' have their place. Getting over being a minority by snuggling up to other races and hating your own heritage. But Lionel doesn't deserve that and neither do any of the posters here.

I HATE when black people are made fun of cause they don't live up to the standards that some other black people expect. Whitewashed, whitebread, Carlton Banks....I have good friends that get that shit and I can tell it hurts. Bullshit. Unless someone has gone out of their way to somehow betray other people of their race in a manipulative way....live and let live.