Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: undeniably correct.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2600387&mesg_id=2600908
2600908, RE: undeniably correct.
Posted by denny, Tue Sep-13-11 10:51 PM

>Nah...we just look at the outcome of Lionel's
>"songwriting"....

well...that's kinda besides the point cause the 'outcome' of a composition is different than the composition itself. I LOVE the composition of 'say you say me'....but the outcome (the arrangement, the production, etc) is admittedly not so great, perhaps a little corny. But if you love songwriting itself....that tune is undeniable.

>There is indeed a case to be made for the same Lionel that
>wrote most of the Commodores music in the '70s...In fact,
>everyone here knows how incredible he was as a pure
>songwriter...That's never been in question...But the majority
>of his '80s output? Not so much...

I think his songwriting was better in the 80's. But the Commodores had better arrangements, playing, grooves, production all that kinda stuff.

>But Stevie (another name that was brought into the discussion)
>and Prince? I'll stack their best work up against Lionel's
>anytime...And feel great about it...

Stevie's a master of all trades so it's a tough call. The only area or skill that Lionel has that could measure up to Stevie would be songwriting and it's a tough call. In all, I'd say Lionel got the edge.

But Prince? Just no. I would characterize Prince's greatest attributes as being a master arranger...great instrumentalist....great programming. Basically the polar opposite of someone like Richie who's main thing is composition/songwriting. I think Prince got Richie beat in every facet of record-making EXCEPT for songwriting.

As an aside...and it's probly none of my white business....but I have no idea why some black guys here are arguing over what black people listen to. Who cares? I like hearing all the informed views here but some of this stuff is so unnecessary. You got a bunch of music nerds/elites (whichever you prefer) arguing over what other people think. And those other people aren't as passionate about music as we all are here. As soon as people start appealing to their neighborhoods I tune out cause I don't care.

But I recognize your attempts for staying classy Murph. Cheers and agree to disagree.