Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I agree with you here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2600387&mesg_id=2600505
2600505, RE: I agree with you here
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Tue Sep-13-11 01:54 PM
Peabo did basically the same album over and over in the 70s' let your feelings flow was a great R&B track and he had a few others, but he was basically a younger Lou Rawls type of cat that kept a few hits, but was never going to be the next level dude.

i mean he was never going to be Teddy Pendergrass and he wasn't going to be Luther Vandross, but he might give you a hint of both and yet stay in his lane.

oh I dig Jeffrey Osbourne and me saying a journeyman wasn't meant to be a diss its more about his placing in the history of R&B because Journeyman is like high 3rd tier.

he had hits and got a great voice, but he never connected on the personality front beyond a certain audience and LTD to me was a good Wine Cooler Band that had some good stuff, but nothing that is going to get them into a debate with lets say Brick, but more along the lines of the BT Express or Brass construction.

not enough memorable material there and his solo career hit at first and then dropped a bit and then hit a little bit but he was never a serious threat at being in that argument with other cats that were happening back then.

oh yeah Man, long ago by me living down south and also getting into Ray Charles early on in my life I knew what was up and I loved Ray's country material.

i mean he covered a wide range of styles and Ray IMO paid a price and is almost underrated and yet a national musical treasure that is hard to digest in one take, but it makes sense for the simple fact that folks dug him in various genries and yet he didn't dominate one particular time, yet he was respected in the various styles he went in.

fast forward to modern times and that is Lionel Richie because he hit the R&B with the Commodores and then Pop, and then Country with Kenny Rogers, and alabama then in between Jesus is love and he had gospel community respect, he had respect in the funk, R&B, Pop, country, Gospel worlds and the jazz world as well

another act who paid a price for being diverse.

yeah stevie wonder has that, Michael Jackson had that,. all those cats loved themselves some Ray Charles