Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: What do you LIKE?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2598049&mesg_id=2713936
2713936, RE: What do you LIKE?
Posted by Original Juice, Tue Jun-26-12 05:13 PM
I like good playlists and mixes with fun beat selections and a fun, uplifting vibe to them.

I enjoy Jawaiian pop music.

I love it when house music.. or any type of music really.. has variations in drum patterns and enough going on in the tracks to accentuate the beats.. repetitive enough to be hypnotic, but enough switches and changes to keep my short attention span engaged.

I love rap songs with scratched hooks and/or scratch solos.. a lot of rap music has extended sections where the beat or the chorus just repeats and repeats.. perfect opportunity for some fresh yet tasteful scratchin and/or editing magic.

I love rap songs and rap groups that put the DJ on a pedestal. (i.e.; "Rhythm Traxx House Party Style", "Ugly People Be Quiet", "Supercuts", etc.)

I love rap songs that encourage partying and dancing without having to dumb it down (i.e.; "I Know You Got Soul")

I love so-called gangsta rap from before the regional rap sound era (i.e., King Tee, OG Style, Threat, etc.)

I loved it when emcees who could sing a little would throw in some melody or sing songiness into their flows without having to go 100% "I am a singer now" mode. It was a nice little attention grabber that brought flavor to sometimes monotonous yet technically gifted flows.