Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I have seen the Universal Mind. . .
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2598049&mesg_id=2643678
2643678, RE: I have seen the Universal Mind. . .
Posted by ajiav, Wed Dec-28-11 02:01 AM
Not familiar with those sets except by reputation; I also felt early for me to be getting into something so comprehensive while still absorbing the 'classics,' so to speak, but I take your recommendation to heart and will keep it in mind. I'm also trying to move *roughly* chronologically, touching some of the more widely celebrated releases and then filling in gaps as desired, and so am still floating around (relatively) earlier stuff. Next I mean to get Undercurrent and Conversations with Myself, but I've been meaning to get those for awhile. I will likely get distracted by something else, eventually, so I have to acquire as much as my interest encourages before fading. I suspect I will keep coming back over time, given the size of the catalogue.

I don't think I'm familiar with Andrew Hill except as a sideman, it seems like I've heard stuff *around* him in the early 60s, thinking (possibly incorrectly) of Bobby Hutcherson, Eric Dolphy blue note releases which may have involved him to some degree. I know I have looked at Point of Departure on more than one occasion, thinking, "I still haven't heard this," and it remains true today. I have heard isolated tracks.

How about Oliver Nelson? Kind of just getting into him, via Blues and the Abstract Truth, want to hear more.