Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: What do you LIKE?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2598049&mesg_id=2598337
2598337, RE: What do you LIKE?
Posted by ajiav, Thu Sep-08-11 12:06 AM
Lately been getting into Bill Evans. Familiar with Kind of Blue, of course, and had a Gary Mcfarland album where Bill Evans was the featured soloist, but I had never dug into his solo work or career before.

Hearing a few tracks here and there on youtube led me to read his bio on some jazz websites, then suddenly I noticed him everywhere: as a sideman in albums I was listening to, someone (Austin) playing his tracks in mumu/thelisteningroom, etc. I don't look for 'signs,' not being a believer in that sort of thing, but I try to stay receptive to synchronicity if it's appropriate, music is an area where 'magic' is acceptable.

At any rate, something about Bill Evans has caught my interest sufficiently for me to suddenly notice him to a greater degree than before. The music is already geared towards my tastes on the one hand, but there's something in his personality coming through the music that is quite moving, somewhere between quiet, melancholic, joyous, esoteric, introverted. Bio-wise, I appreciate the conflict between his devotion to music and his apparent insecurities.

Enjoying reading more extensively about him and his music, it's nice when you discover something that catches your imagination, even if you're not entirely sure how or to what extent it will impact you. I'm not really capable of elevating others to the position of "hero," but I do draw inspiration from the works, words, and lives of others, and so in that regard Bill Evans speaks to me at the moment.