Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectCurren$y
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2598049&mesg_id=2598290
2598290, Curren$y
Posted by jimaveli, Wed Sep-07-11 10:38 PM
Because he is unapologetically in his lane. The stuff he makes is mood music. Its is awesome for what it is even if its not 'for everybody' or even for all of the time listening. I miss the days where MOST MAJOR cats made music that had a feel to it instead of trying to make something that 'everyone' would like or stuff that strictly pandered to the top 40 if you will. Sure, if the stuff you makes becomes popular, then by all means...roll with it for a while if you feel good about it (Drake/Wayne/Kanye/etc). But when people got to the point where the pandering came before the idea of 'make something good'...ehhh...Curren$y says 'eff that' and keeps on churning out the mood music and I support the hell out of that.

Big KRIT: Same reasons. And he's a more 'soulful' type of rapper. I miss that sometimes too.

Classic H-Town rap music: same reasons as Curren$y. That stuff...Pimpin Anthem, 25 Lighters, Pimpin the Pen, Swang, ESG stuff, UGK's first 3 albums, June 27th. All amazing for what it is even if hearing Pimpin Anthem every day isn't a necessity. All of it stands up well years later. I hadn't seen pure joy in a while until I saw a room full of 30 year old folks, male and female, going all karaoke on Pimpin Anthem.

Watch The Throne: Its a bold move for those dudes to get together and even try to make an album. There is high standards for their solo works. Kanye is known as being outlandish about what he wants. And..oh yeah, JayZ is old as hell with two careers worth of stuff in the can already. And he's about to be pops. And folks are amped to hate on them both. And the expectations were going to be silly. As would be the hype if the album was anywhere between decent and great. I honestly feel like they landed well into the good even if I can WTF a few things about the album. There's some mighty shit-talking, jamming SONGS, and well-above the norm production values. Its works for me. New Day, Primetime, Niggas in Paris, The Joy mastered, etc. And since I have 28k songs, its not like I can't listen to something else and go back to it a few months from now.

Unsung: Almost every episode forced me to rediscover or reach out for some songs. New Horizons (Sylvers) is one of my favorite songs this year and its a 30 year old song. I can listen to it 4 times in a row on the way to work. I put together a house-party mix and had Misdemeanor going into Funky Enough before going an hour straight with West Coast classics..jamming! ECK's I'm in Love...more jamming..I hadn't paid attention to that song in years. PFunk, Bootsy, OP, Spinners etc, etc...on and on.

"If you were with me now!" - my man Alexander O'Neal, with his "Bobby Brown jaw"-having ass.

"You just wanna luv her! You just gotta **** her yeah!" Everyone I play for thinks he's saying 'fuck' her. Who knows...

Jimaveli: I gotta live my liiiiiiife! OOOOOOOOOOO!

>It's so much drama in the LBC, it's kinda hard to read a post
>in fuckin' peace. But, I - somehow some way - find an
>interesting thread in this forum like every couple days. May,
>I...
>
>Anyway, too many of the posts in here are negative. Post about
>something you like, tell us *WHY* YOU like it. What does it
>mean to you? Where are you at in your life? What does this
>artist/song/album do (EXACTLY) that most artists/songs/albums
>don't?
>
>This thread can be great. Let's go!