Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectfrom Still Standing up until Perfect Imperfections, Cee-lo
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2594169&mesg_id=2594230
2594230, from Still Standing up until Perfect Imperfections, Cee-lo
Posted by bills, Tue Aug-30-11 11:07 AM
was the illest rapper there was to me, period. cats that thought they was too hood for the Goodie made fun of me for that all the time.

"Still Standing", "I Refuse Limitation", "Gutta Butta", "Distant Wilderness", "Ghetto-Ology", "The Experience", shoot even "Follow the Lights" and "White Gutz", to me there's only a handful of emcees who can match that (I won't go into who, because none of them are the canonized GOATs...except maybe one).

and after a while, I noticed that T-Mo, Khujo AND Gipp are all crazy nice, equals with Big Boi or just a hair below him, but they go ignored (like Big in favor of Dre) because unfortunately, most Goodie Mob or DF songs are just a nice little wait until Cee-Lo gets on and shuts ish down.

and man, I ain't gon lie...when I hear folks say he's a mediocre rapper OR singer...I'm just perplexed, because he's so good at both that it ain't even fair, really. the only thing that stops him from being a top 3 all-time emcee in my book is his drastic lowering of the bar post Even in Darkness. and his singin is straight church to me. he sings like Al Green just spit him out.

dude is just...songs where Cee-Lo lives up to his potential just make me shake my head and chuckle to myself.