Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectu're so off base with crediting Vaughn, it ain't a good example...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2592515&mesg_id=2593243
2593243, u're so off base with crediting Vaughn, it ain't a good example...
Posted by builtfromwax, Sat Aug-27-11 07:03 PM
...yes it's a cool song, but from Vaughn himself...he bit the bass line from Chic's "Good Times," hired a singer he paid $75 for the session and had himself a multimillion dollar hit.

he's a sound engineer now in the DC/B'more area. i just so happen to be working this video shoot a couple years ago for some song on DC Statehood (we see how that's goin'). he's out there with us on break telling us how the music biz "used" to be. tellin' us stories about Dru Hill (which i can't remember...or really wasn't too interested in). so he eventually gets to talkin' about how life treated him.

he said he just wanted to have a hit record. the biggest record out at the time he said was "Good Times." so he hummed the bass line to the song and said, "there's went like that. i changed mine to sound like this..." a la Robert Van Winkle! there was no Crew, he said he basically got some session musicians, hired a singer and produced the song. he made millions off of it, but lost most of it after two divorces.

so the song u're using as an example has its origins in another song the artist himself said he lifted. basically a disco/dance song. aside from the bass line, nothin' funk-based about it.