Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMore Bounce to the ounce was a "harder" sound than the mason record
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2592515&mesg_id=2592595
2592595, More Bounce to the ounce was a "harder" sound than the mason record
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Fri Aug-26-11 12:09 PM
thus the title....it was MORE bounce....MUCH more bouuuuunce...

as was the MO of P-Funk at the time (more bounce to the ounce was co-produced by Bootsy Collins and he also played guitar on it) .... they took what was being done at the time...and then went super bedyond it....often making either references to specific groups, song titles or styles that other groups were using at the time..

so it was MORE BOUNCE....

I wouldn't say that it "changed the sound of funk" ...it wasn't the first record that used the synth as the bass line/drum thing..... there weren't a lot of recrods that really copied it after...

I would say it was a unique song in that it took that style and put an edge to it that didn't exist prior...

I will also say that it was a straight urban street banger...really maybe unlike any song that came before it....People talk about when that song dropped and the stories are the same throughout the country...it was bumped out of the low riders or the slick cats plush rides....it was bumped at the park next to the basketball court....The song did represent something very specific in urban Black america when it dropped....

I'd also say that it's one of 3 Roger/Zapp singles that really stand out as huge smash hits in that same urban way ....More Bounce.....Computer Love.....and Dance Floor (doo wa ditty and grapevine did also, but Dance Floor got even more urban airplay when it first dropped)

More Bounce didn't change funk per se...but it was a hugely impactful record...