Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: today in hip hop history
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2585896&mesg_id=2613383
2613383, RE: today in hip hop history
Posted by True, Tue Oct-11-11 02:54 PM
http://rapstation.com/td/hFHqvk6i

Oct.11th – M.C. Lyte was born Lana Michelle Moorer in Brooklyn , New York , on this day in 1971.

Lyte was signed to First Priority Records in 1987 and released her classic debut album “Lyte As A Rock” the following year , becoming the 1st solo female rapper to do so. The classic album featured such hip-hop classics such as “10% Dis” , “I Cram To Understand U”(Sam) , one of the first rap songs about crack addiction , and the hit single “Paper Thin”. Her brothers Milk Dee and Gizmo , who made up the duo Audio Two also appeared on the album as well.

Lyte released her sophomore set “Eyes On This” in 1989. The album produced 2 more Lyte classics ; “Cha Cha Cha” and “Cappucino”.

Lyte has released 5 albums since then , most notably 1991’s “Act Like You Know” which contained the classic “Poor Georgie”,

1993’s “Ain’t No Other” which featured the hit single “Ruffneck” and 1996’s “Bad As I Wanna B” , which featured the smash-hits “Cold Rock A Party”(Featuring Missy Elliott) and “Keep On Keepin’ On” produced by Jermaine Dupri and featuring Xscape.

Throughout her career Lyte has collaborated with a slew of artist like Janet Jackson , Brandy , The Roots as well as appearing on the posse track “Sticka” featuring Ice-T , Ice Cube and Yours Truly off of Terminator X.’s 1994 album “Super Bad”.

Lyte is also an accomplished actress appearing in several films such as “Plays’s Ball” , “A Luv Tale” , “Fly By Night” , “Civil Brand” and “Train Ride”.

Lyte has also done extensive television appearing on “New York Undercover” , “In The House” , “Half & Half” , “The District” and “Moesha” to name a few.

In 2006 Lyte was honored at VH1’s Hip Hop Honors annual gala where fellow lady m.c.’s like Da Brat , Remy Ma and Lil’ Kim performed some of her biggest hits.