Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: today in hip hop history
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2585896&mesg_id=2606398
2606398, RE: today in hip hop history
Posted by True, Sun Sep-25-11 07:09 AM
http://rapstation.com/td/bEHqvk6i
Sept.25th – T.I. was born Clifford Joseph Harris Jr. in Riverdale , Georgia on this day in 1980.

T.I. was nick-named Tip after his paternal great-grandfather. When he was signed to LaFace Records in 2001 , he changed it to T.I. out of respect for label-mate Q-Tip , formerly of A Tribe Called Quest.

T.I. released his debut album “I’m Serious” , that same year , which contained the single title-track , which featured reggae singer Beenie Man. “I’m Serious” also featured guest appearances by Pharell Williams , Jazze Pha , Too $hort , Bonecrusher and Lil’ Jon.

After a falling out with LaFace , T.I. formed his own record label Grand Hustle Records , whose roster would eventually include , B.o.B , Killer Mike , 8Ball & MJG , Big Kuntry King and Young Dro just to name a few.

In 2003 , T.I. appeared on Bonecrusher’s smash-hit “Never Scared”. Soon after , T.I. inked a distribution deal with Atlantic Records for Grand Hustle and released his successful sophomore set “Tap Muzik”. The hit album featured production work from Kanye West , David Banner , Jazze Pha , Madvac and DJ Toomp. “Trap Muzik” also featured the hits ; “24’s” , “Big Easy” , “Rubberband Man” and “Let’s Get Away”.

In 2004 , T.I. appeared with Lil’ Wayne on the Destiny’s Child hit “Soldier”. In 2006 , T.I. won several Billboard and BET Music Awards , including Best Male Rap Artist at both ceremonies.

T.I. has released 7 albums to date. Most notably ; 2004’s platinum-selling “Urban Legend” , which featured the hit “Bring ‘Em Out” , 2006’s platinum-selling “King” , which contained the Grammy Award winning-hit “What You Know” and 2008’s chart-topper “Paper Trail” ,which featured his biggest hit-single “Whatever You Like” as well as Live Your Life” , featuring Rihanna , “Dead And Gone” , featuring Justin Timberlake and “Swagger Like Us” featuring Jay-Z , Lil’ Wayne and Kanye West.

T.I. also formed Grand Hustle Films which is currently in production for a reality series. T.I also starred in the film “ATL” , which was produced by Will Smith’s Overbrook Productions. T.I. has also appeared in “American Gangster” and “Takers”.

T.I. also has been involved in several humanitarian initiatives like Hurricane Katrina efforts , working with youths at The Paulding Detention Center in Atlanta , providing scholarships for single parent homes at The Boys And Girls Club Of America , and bicycle giveaways for under-privileged youths in Atlanta.

T.I also owns one of Atlanta’s most popular night-clubs called “Club Crucial”.

In 2010, T.I. rescued a man attempting suicide , who was attemting to jump from an office building in Atlanta.

T.I. is also married to Tameka “Tiny” Cottle of r’n’b’ group Xscape.