Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: today in hip hop history
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2585896&mesg_id=2599180
2599180, RE: today in hip hop history
Posted by True, Sat Sep-10-11 08:39 AM
Kane born the day after Shan, funny how that works sometimes

Sept.10th – Big Daddy Kane was born Antonio Monterio Hardy in Brooklyn , New York on this day in 1968.

Kane signed with Marley Marl’s Cold Chillin’ Records in 1987. Kane also joined Marl’s Juice Crew collective as well , which featured Biz Markie , Roxanne Shante , Kool G. Rap , Grand Daddy I.U. , TJ Swan , Masta Ace , Intelligent Hoodlum a.k.a. Tragedy Khadafi and Craig G..

Kane released his classic 1st single “Raw” the same year and his debut solo album followed in 1988 called “Long Live The Kane”. The album spawned the hits “I’ll Take You There” and the classic “Ain’t No Half Steppin’”.

Kane’s smooth lyrical style and debonair fashion sense quickly earned him the reputation as the Billy Dee Williams of rap. Kane also became one of the earliest rappers to incorporate the 5% teachings into his lyrics. His faster than average vocal delivery style also made Kane unique and started a new vocal trend that would influence future m.c.’s like Treach of Naughty By Nature and Twista.

Kane’s sophomore set “It’s A Big Daddy Thing” was released in 1989 and produced more hits like “Smooth Operator” and the Teddy Riley produced “I Get The Job Done”.

Kane also had one of the most memorable verses on the classic Juice Crew posse cut “The Symphony”.

In the early 90’s Kane would have Jay-Z join him onstage during his tour , while he changed his on-stage outfits. These would be some the earliest public performances by Jay-Z.

Kane has released 7 albums to date as well as collaborating with the likes of Patti Labelle , 2Pac , M.C. Hammer , Danny Boy , Jurassic 5 , Morcheeba , The Game and Busta Rhymes.

Kane also became the 1st rapper to pose for Playgirl when he did a pictorial for the magazine in the early 90’s. Kane also posed for Madonna’s 1992 book “Sex”.

Kane has also appeared in the films “Meteor Man” , “Just Another Day” and had a memorable role in Mario Van Peebles 1993 Black western “Posse” as Father Time”.

In 2005 , Kane was honored during the VH1-Hip-Hop Honors with T.I. , Black Thought and Common performing some his classics before Kane himself took to the stage for a performance with his long-time dancers Scoob and Scrap.