Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAfter Def Jam, Which Is The 2nd Most Influential/Impactful HipHop label?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2568242&mesg_id=2568242
2568242, After Def Jam, Which Is The 2nd Most Influential/Impactful HipHop label?
Posted by vee-lover, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
or other not mentioned?

My 1st thought was Death Row because of their all star roster and having arguably the HipHop greatest producer....although it was short lived, they definitely left their mark on the industry

Bad Bay has a place in this discussion, too, since it was Bad Boy that kinda rejuvenated the interest back in NY HipHop.

But if you really think abt it from an objective viewpoint, you could make the case that "Cash Money Records" has had as big of an impact as anyone since Def Jam.

-kept 100% of their masters

-50% of their publishings

-85% of their royalties

-no label (I don't think) has had as many artists to go platinum and platinum several x over as the artists on Cash Money.

For Cash Money to have accomplished all that they have is remarkable when you think abt the fact that they're from an area that no one was checking for when it came to HipHop and them along with "No Limit" are solely responsible for putting NO on the map. I definitely think it was there label that spawned a lot of upstart subsidiary labels in the mid to late 90s in hopes of landing a similar distribution deal with a major label.

I couldn't add some of the other labels to this list such as 'So So Def' or the 'Dungeon Famil' or 'Slip Slide Records.' All are worthy of being mentioned....and I'm sure I'm forgetting some labels, too.

Whatchu think?

Poll question: After Def Jam, Which Is The 2nd Most Influential/Impactful HipHop label?

Poll result (20 votes)
Death Row.... (5 votes)Vote
Bad Boy... (2 votes)Vote
Roc a Fella... (4 votes)Vote
Ruff Ryders.... (7 votes)Vote
Cash Money (2 votes)Vote
No Limit (0 votes)Vote