Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThis is a good question
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2563332&mesg_id=2564867
2564867, This is a good question
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Sat Jun-25-11 03:27 PM
because I found Radiohead's "Ideoteque" to be a really well written song even though it's strips of lines. I always assumed that alot of 'dissociative' or stream of conciousness songs were complex like that song is, but then I got into the Brian ENo catelogue and realised it was just words that 'sounded' right.

Then I realised that is basically the first step of song writing (the paul mccartney 'scrambled eggs' stage), and that leaving the lyrics like that wasn't impressive.

I mean I think Brian ENo's "Julie With" is a wonderful song, I wouldn't call it complex, and I think most rock songwriters get over on the inscrutability of their lyrics.

That said, I believe the original poster is basically asking if Black music has ever been dissociative while still communicating meaning, y'know, if there's a black version of "the ghosts of electricity howl in the bones of her face", and is there even an incentive for that in black music.