Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectLet's review....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2548193&mesg_id=2548620
2548620, Let's review....
Posted by denny, Fri May-13-11 11:01 PM
We got:

Snoop
S Wonder
Bob Marley
Elton John
MJ
John Denver
Prince
Dolly Parton

So I still like Bob Marley as having the farthest reach to all demographics and cultures in that list.

Elton John doesn't really appeal to anyone under 25. Beyond that, there's lots of genre-stuck fans who would HATE him. Metalheads aren't likely to give him a thumbs up.

MJ was closer in the early 80's....but his inappropriate behaviour with children....call it whatever you want....makes it easy to say he's not the most 'likeable' artist.

John Denver doesn't have any reach outside his own genre imo.

AFKAP already showed why Prince has to eliminated.

Dolly Parton is an interesting one....she's got fans outside her genre....

Stevie Wonder merits alot of consideration too. I'd say he's a close second.

But Bob Marley appeals to EVERYONE. Young people think he's hip.....old people can hum along.....his appeal worldwide is undeniable....his personal life and bad habits have never been thoroughly critiqued by the general consensus. Perhaps this is partly due to dying young.

He is literally the SAFEST choice to play at any wedding or social function. Musicians like him....college kids have his posters on their walls....little children dance when you play 'one love'....Retired seniors will sway back and forth at all-inclusive resorts....Africa, Asia, everywhere.

I can't think of an artist that is so widely respected for ENTIRELY different reasons by such a vast spread of backgrounds and ages. He's a revolutionary to some...a simple tunesmith to others.