Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNah, its dat new SPLENDA
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2545286&mesg_id=2545420
2545420, Nah, its dat new SPLENDA
Posted by __Spread__, Fri May-06-11 12:49 PM
Sweet&Low was hair metal and nkotb and shit...I mean Cher endorsed that shit...
This new shit got everyone thinking its safe to eat and the digital technology is so good now that performances "are just like the sweet, sugary performances of the past" when in actuality it is just a new era of "it ain't broke, but my toolbox is so shiny I just gotta fix something"
Its like when my moms fed me margarine all my life and once I learned how to cook and used my first stick of butter I felt cheated. Most kids, all they know is the watered-down stuff...

I work with some up and coming Bay Area MCs and producers and it cracks me up how much they don't know about music and live performances of the past...but I'm also pleasantly surprised often about the shit that they do dig and retroactively get into...They teach me a lot about what's moving younger cats today and I teach them about the music they love but may not have known about because they weren't exposed to the same era...

I think we are about to reach a bottleneck in musical output...I think the trend is just so far one way that the backlash is coming soon...I don't know what will do it, but people will get sick of paying big money for bullshit live acts and begin to appreciate true artistry and live performance...the only thing that needs to happen is for some artists to emerge in the spotlight who are actually bad muthufuckas in the talent department...No more "You mean Alicia Keys ISN'T a virtuoso on the piano?!? Bullshit, her last name is "Keys" She was born to play keyboards!"