Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecthere are five-plus from MN
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2543539&mesg_id=2543702
2543702, here are five-plus from MN
Posted by el guante, Mon May-02-11 10:32 AM
This wouldn't be my personal top five, but it's a good guess at the more canonized top five based on the general feelings of everyone I know:

Atmosphere: "You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having" might be their most solid album front-to-back, but I think most people love the older work like "Overcast" and the Lucy Ford stuff the most.

Brother Ali: "Shadows on the Sun"

P.O.S.: "Never Better" (or "Audition," depending on taste)

Eyedea and Abilities: probably "E&A," though I never really got into their stuff that much so I might be wrong about which album most people consider their best. Eyedea also has a bunch of solo material.

Toki Wright: "A Different Mirror" would be my pick, though it's newer, just because I think Toki is super underrated nationally and he's spitting with the very best out there.

Others worth a mention: The Abstract Pack (TC hip hop pioneers), Kristoff Krane's "Hunting for Father," No Bird Sing's self-titled debut, anything from Kill the Vultures, Dessa's "A Badly Broken Code," Big Quarters' "Cost of Living," the list goes on. And then there are acts like Hieruspecs, Maria Isa, Muja Messiah, Junkyard Empire, Ill3, I Self Devine, the other Doomtree acts and many more who have great material here and there, though I wouldn't list specific albums.

Minnesota has one of the strongest indie hip hop scenes in the country, and has for a long time.

--------
Guante: www.guante.info
Tru Ruts/Speakeasy Records