Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI was going to say that most of the places I've shopped are still around
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2541468&mesg_id=2541513
2541513, I was going to say that most of the places I've shopped are still around
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Apr-25-11 03:31 PM
but that's not true...

for new stuff:

of the independents, Laser Land, and that guy in Bryn Mawr who was great in the mid-90s are long gone.

Of the chain stores, two Towers I frequented are gone, along with Wee Three and the two Sam Goody stores I'd hit.

Mad's in Ardmore went down sometime in the '00s. Shame as they were one of the few shops that really focused on stocking a great folk collection.

Of the used shops:

I haven't been to Philadelphia on a record shopping visit in a decade so I dunno what's still there (aside from the Repo store)

Repo's done very well, long since gone from the poor location where I first started shopping

Shady Dog seems to do really well too, doing a lot of business on the net but they've got the great reputation they deserve for physical shoppers too

Critter's, I never really shopped there too much when we were kids but eventually the owner got sent to jail for the upstairs operations

Plastic Fantastic is long gone but the owners opened up as Gold Million. Haven't been in there, didn't really like the guy even though I bought not just a large chunk of my vinyl collection but also my first house from him