Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectDJ Quik's The Book of David album post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2539108
2539108, DJ Quik's The Book of David album post
Posted by OldPro, Mon Apr-18-11 03:44 PM
yeah it's out there but dude will be getting my money when it drops tomorrow. picks up where rhythm-al-ism left off imo.... this shit reminds of everything I loved about hip hop in the first place

http://reunionradio.blogspot.com/

Latest episode- Slave Tribute (RIP Mark L. Adams)
2539127, yeah man
Posted by revolution75, Mon Apr-18-11 04:17 PM
Expectations were met and exceeded on this one
You can tell he put his all into it and didnt half step.
Quik deserves support on this.
2539574, RE: yeah man
Posted by CanUooooFeeLiT, Tue Apr-19-11 05:57 PM
"Yep Yep" - Ted
2539138, Only heard 2 snippets a month ago, I'm waiting til tomorrow to cop
Posted by Bombastic, Mon Apr-18-11 04:34 PM
I've got this to cop on Tuesday & three concerts to hit this week (Wednesday Paul Simon at Pantages Theater: that one's strictly the woman's choice, Thursday & Saturday a younger/more nimble/more-personally-important & overall musically adept Little Man at the Forum) this is shaping up to be a pretty damn good musical week in the City of Angels.
2539155, I don't neeed nobody
Posted by Rick Fox Jr, Mon Apr-18-11 04:58 PM
Did he get Robert Funksta Bacon on that guitar?!

2539179, I'm doing it 1999 style
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Apr-18-11 05:41 PM
Going to buy it, and listening to it straight through start to finish without skipping or rewinding. And pausing if somebody calls or I'm at a drive through. Yep yep (c) Teddy Riley
2539183, yup, tried to do the same with Snoop but that album was too damn long
Posted by Bombastic, Mon Apr-18-11 05:48 PM
like any post-Snoop Doggystyle album.

Had to get out of the whip & cheat a couple times on a song or two.
2539581, Haha same here. Funny tho cause...
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 06:05 PM
Doggystyle itself was pretty damn long, 19 tracks if you got it early enough (which I did thankfully), it's just that damn good it doesn't FEEL that long.

Doggumentary was really good for the most part, tho.
2539601, RE: Haha same here. Funny tho cause...
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Apr-19-11 06:28 PM
>Doggystyle itself was pretty damn long, 19 tracks if you got
>it early enough (which I did thankfully), it's just that damn
>good it doesn't FEEL that long.

but it was only around 50 minutes while being completely overseen by Dre (and 5/6 of those tracks were skits/interludes).

I think every album Snoop has made since has been a good 20-25 minutes longer & much more schizo in terms of the feel.
>
>Doggumentary was really good for the most part, tho.

agreed, I've cooled on it a bit though after bumping it hard for a minute whereas Raekwon's album is still holding steady.

Looking forward to copping the Quik joint after work & banging that on my way to the gym then home later.
2539628, True...
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 07:25 PM
about the overall length of the album. Snoop albums now hover at about 70 minutes which is too much. I didn't realize Doggystyle was only 50 minutes. I just thought it felt shorter cause it was so damn good.

And yea Dre's overseeing the whole thing was kinda my point with that. No matter how long it was, Dre in his early/mid 90's prime could've given me 120 minute albums and I would've thought they were just right.

Doggumentary cooled out with me too as I've been bumping Pharoahe's new joint pretty heavily in the past week and a half of so trying to digest the lyrics.
2540330, RE: True...
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Apr-21-11 01:28 PM
>about the overall length of the album. Snoop albums now hover
>at about 70 minutes which is too much. I didn't realize
>Doggystyle was only 50 minutes. I just thought it felt
>shorter cause it was so damn good.
>
>And yea Dre's overseeing the whole thing was kinda my point
>with that. No matter how long it was, Dre in his early/mid
>90's prime could've given me 120 minute albums and I would've
>thought they were just right.
>
>Doggumentary cooled out with me too as I've been bumping
>Pharoahe's new joint pretty heavily in the past week and a
>half of so trying to digest the lyrics.

Haven't gotten around to Pharoahe's, I'm in Quik mode right now.
2540340, Rub it in why don't you...
Posted by Brew, Thu Apr-21-11 01:39 PM
haha I still can't fucking find this shit anywhere. I'm about to start cursing people out.
2540362, man I guess he really is a regional/indie artist nowadays, because
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Apr-21-11 02:08 PM
that album was prominently displayed in the new releases plus had signage at the register at my local shop (Second Spin in Santa Monica).

lol, I guess I'm rubbing it in again.
2540375, Uggghhhhhhh....
Posted by Brew, Thu Apr-21-11 02:25 PM
Haha. Yea I'm getting that impression. Sucks cause Newbury Comics used to be my go-to and they failed me even. So annoying. I wanted to be like 8 listens in by now. This development literally ruined my day yesterday, threw me all off.
2539577, RE: I'm doing it 1999 style
Posted by CanUooooFeeLiT, Tue Apr-19-11 05:59 PM
Good luck on not rewinding. Took me over 4 hrs to finish the album.
2539582, Shit I can't wait to get this thing.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 06:05 PM
2539195, Mods you might want to lock this
Posted by OldPro, Mon Apr-18-11 06:16 PM
I did a search but couldn't find the other one... I see now it don't mention the album by name

2539571, RE: DJ Quik's The Book of David album post
Posted by CanUooooFeeLiT, Tue Apr-19-11 05:52 PM
Lovin this album!!! He's combined Safe & Sound to Blaqout on this new album. Production is flawless while his bars have been updated.
2539578, i must admit i slept on quik's albums lately
Posted by rl9, Tue Apr-19-11 06:01 PM
this one is fire.
what else should i pick up if i dig this or should i just get the whole catalogue?
2539580, get the whole catalog
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Tue Apr-19-11 06:02 PM
everthing from his solos to the joint with Kurupt and even the first Suga Free album.
2539586, Yep.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 06:10 PM
You don't want to miss anything this dood did with his career. He's too damn good.
2539604, the live album from 2006 at House of Blues is a good intro-to-Quik album
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Apr-19-11 06:29 PM
>this one is fire.
>what else should i pick up if i dig this or should i just get
>the whole catalogue?
2539585, Rhapsody's review kinda tried to shit on it...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Apr-19-11 06:07 PM
but I just dl'd it to my Mp3 and I'll que it up in the morning at the gym. Should be fun.
2539588, Can you link up the review by any chance?
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 06:12 PM
I can't seem to find it.

Not that I'll take it seriously at all but I'm interested to see any feedback on it.

In other news I had a damn dentist appt. today to fill my first cavity in years, and planned to stop at the Newbury Comics down the street once that shit was finished. In so much pain I jetted back to work to get some meds and totally forgot about it. Fuck me. Will be copping tomorrow tho.
2539592, here you go...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Apr-19-11 06:18 PM
not very long, though.

http://www.rhapsody.com/dj-quik/the-book-of-david-2
2539634, Thanks.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 07:30 PM
2539608, Newbury Comics is still around? what's on the corner of Newbury now
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Apr-19-11 06:31 PM
that Tower is gone?

Haven't been to the Bean in awhile.
2539631, There's a Best Buy where the Tower used to be.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 07:27 PM
I used to chill there all the time when my buddy worked for Junior Seau, cause Junior's place was right above that Best Buy, so I spent a lot of time in that BB.

And yea Newbury is still going semi-strong. There's like 3 or 4 that I can think of, obviously the one on Newbury St. but there's one from my hometown in Central MA, as well as a couple in the area I work in New Hampshire. Newbury has lost it's indie-edge over the years tho. Was shocked and disappointed to find that Blu & Exile's album wasn't available there even when it first came out; they used to specialize in having albums like that.
2539635, that makes me a bit sad but I guess it's better than a CVS or something
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Apr-19-11 07:31 PM
I used to walk up to that Tower & then hit Newbury Comics along with the other used/mom-and-pop music spots on that block or two when I was at Northeastern my freshman year of college then later anytime I'd come back.
2539639, RE: that makes me a bit sad but I guess it's better than a CVS or something
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 07:36 PM
Yea I hear you, def miss that Tower too. You went to Northeastern? That's straight. I know all too well what you're talkin about cruising up and down Newbury grabbing music and stopping in all those shops.
2539643, UGHH is right in that area too on Huntington across from the Pru
Posted by Oak27, Tue Apr-19-11 07:39 PM
I used to walk to that place all the time in college
2539647, Yep.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 07:45 PM
2539651, RE: that makes me a bit sad but I guess it's better than a CVS or something
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Apr-19-11 07:52 PM
>Yea I hear you, def miss that Tower too. You went to
>Northeastern? That's straight. I know all too well what
>you're talkin about cruising up and down Newbury grabbing
>music and stopping in all those shops.

Yeah, only for a year though, in retrospect maybe I should have stayed (they had a good co-op program, although I was a journalism major & that industry has gone the way of Tower Records) but I didn't know what the hell I was doing with myself at 17/18.

I just wanted to go to school in Boston for some reason, once the novelty of that wore off Northeastern wasn't that cool & I transferred to school in Maryland.
2539654, RE: that makes me a bit sad but I guess it's better than a CVS or something
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 08:04 PM
>Yeah, only for a year though, in retrospect maybe I should
>have stayed (they had a good co-op program, although I was a
>journalism major & that industry has gone the way of Tower
>Records) but I didn't know what the hell I was doing with
>myself at 17/18.

Word. Who knows anything at that age ha. I've heard mixed reviews on Northeastern depending on major. Although a friend of mine is taking their online graduate program online and says it's been a really good program, and "easy" (relative) to complete while working full time.

>I just wanted to go to school in Boston for some reason, once
>the novelty of that wore off Northeastern wasn't that cool & I
>transferred to school in Maryland.

Gotcha...and that's why I ask if you're from the area. Like I said I grew up in Central MA, and rather than go to school in Boston I just moved there once I graduated from UMass and I love the Bean, though parking is a bitch.
2539657, RE: that makes me a bit sad but I guess it's better than a CVS or something
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Apr-19-11 08:13 PM
>>Yeah, only for a year though, in retrospect maybe I should
>>have stayed (they had a good co-op program, although I was a
>>journalism major & that industry has gone the way of Tower
>>Records) but I didn't know what the hell I was doing with
>>myself at 17/18.
>
>Word. Who knows anything at that age ha. I've heard mixed
>reviews on Northeastern depending on major. Although a friend
>of mine is taking their online graduate program online and
>says it's been a really good program, and "easy" (relative) to
>complete while working full time.
>
>
>>I just wanted to go to school in Boston for some reason,
>once
>>the novelty of that wore off Northeastern wasn't that cool &
>I
>>transferred to school in Maryland.
>
>Gotcha...and that's why I ask if you're from the area. Like I
>said I grew up in Central MA, and rather than go to school in
>Boston I just moved there once I graduated from UMass and I
>love the Bean, though parking is a bitch.

nah, I'm from the Philly/SouthJersey area.

That was my only year of living in the Bean but I still have people in the area & get there once in awhile.

Also lived in Bmore/DC & now LA.
2539597, My life is complete. I have heard "Nobody" in its entirety.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Apr-19-11 06:25 PM
Listening to Ghetto Rendezvous. I hope to never hate anyone that much.
2539614, Nobody is just syrupy west coast goodness
Posted by OldPro, Tue Apr-19-11 06:40 PM
I was playing that on the way back from best buy today with the sun roof open on this beautiful mid 70s California day... shit was perfect theme music.

2539623, Your windows should automatically lower when you
Posted by mrshow, Tue Apr-19-11 07:09 PM
bump this album.
2539632, Hahahaha
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-19-11 07:29 PM
2539658, For real, wtFUCK is wrong with him on there?!?!!?
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Tue Apr-19-11 08:15 PM
He was goin off waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hard.
2539662, He goes for their jugulars at every chance he gets, lol.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Apr-19-11 08:49 PM
I know they're the reason he went (or keeps going back) to jail. I guess they just push him to that point.
2539666, lol damn he really hates his sisters huh lol
Posted by illEskoBar221, Tue Apr-19-11 09:00 PM
2540337, man his sisters sound scandalous as hell, he's also an angry dude n/m
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Apr-21-11 01:33 PM
2540403, They could be...but he doesn't need to air out family business
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Apr-21-11 03:11 PM
Maybe it's just me talking. I know I can't relate even a little bit...but damn, to diss her son too??? Funny as hell but way too out of pocket!!
2540411, that shit got real weird when he talked about the daughter too
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Apr-21-11 03:21 PM
>Maybe it's just me talking. I know I can't relate even a
>little bit...but damn, to diss her son too??? Funny as hell
>but way too out of pocket!!

I was like, "damn, Quik!!"
2540427, oh he's completely out of pocket but he's been talking about them
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Apr-21-11 03:54 PM
in song forever as you know & apparently they've been fucking with him since he was a kid as well.

I mean there was some kind of story a few years back about his sister kidnapping his kids to extort money from him, one of them was suing him for slander or something, sounds all fucked up.

But Quik seems to be the type to go extra over petty shit anyway, when I went to Quik's Groove at the Key Club a couple months back it was the twentieth anniversary of Quik Is The Name which he was playing live in its entirity.

Should have been a celebration of Quik having a twenty-year career but instead it sorta devolved into Quik spending inordinate amounts of time in between songs shitting on AMG for not making it to the show (which I guarantee nobody but Quik was really all that upset about).
2540068, Suga Free is funny to me.
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Apr-20-11 08:10 PM
He totally doesn't feel like a rapper at all, but a pimp character dude talking shit and rhyming words. And somehow he manages to remain in the pocket.
2540341, Baby(CashMoney) describes himself as 'not a rapper, a game spitta',to me
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Apr-21-11 01:40 PM
that seems to fit Suga Free more than it does him, or at least Suga Free is miles more adept from a lyrical & technical standpoint while still managing to have you feeling like he's a pimp in character having a conversation either with you or with someone else (usually a hoe) right in front of you.

This verse is actually one of the more 'introspective' Suga Free verses I've heard from him.
2540890, i saw him do this track live about a month ago
Posted by squeeg, Fri Apr-22-11 07:30 PM
I was like, "Damn, he's pissed the fuck off." That's also when I decided to buy the album.

>Listening to Ghetto Rendezvous. I hope to never hate anyone
>that much.

http://urkelmoedee.com
http://urkelmoedee.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/urkelmoedee

PSN: UrkelMoeDee
2539664, I don't think I'll ever tire of the Paul Revere beat.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Apr-19-11 08:50 PM
Niggas have used it a kajillion times since, but it's still dope.
2540025, Yeah for real. It's soooo many ways to flip it
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Apr-20-11 05:28 PM
From E-40 "Jump my bone" to Ross "The Boss" to this here. That shit is perfect
2539911, after two thorough listens..
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Apr-20-11 12:25 PM
I got a feeling this is gonna be in the rotation for a while. Way longer than Snoop's joint was. My standouts so far are Fire and Brimstone, Babylon (good to hear Bizzy), Killer Dope, Poppin (I have to be honest...I played this 4 times before I moved on), Nobody ( I actually laughed out loud in the middle of the gym when Sugar Free did that "Dos Equis" line, lol)and Flow for Sale (love Kurupt, man). This album had me smilin feelin like back in the 90's when my boys and I were completely entrenched in all things West Coast. ATL, CMW, Second II None, Snoop and Dre, AMG, Hi C...all that shit. This is the perfect warm, breezy ridin album. Good job, Quik.
2539915, I can't wait to hear it....
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Apr-20-11 12:37 PM
I've been running back his studio albums lately. I don't think Quik ever dropped a WACK album... ever.

and the last few albums have been increasingly serious. Even though he hasn't lost his flair for the party. I expect to throw this on and lay back and smile.

the weather here in NE Ohio has been some booty-ass booty so I can't really enjoy this like I should, but it's cool.
2539922, We having some bullshit weather in New England too...
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-20-11 12:47 PM
so I was feeling the same exact way about the album coming out now. I was hoping to have a spring this year.
2540350, man, y'all need to hear this driving by the ocean in LA, sounds heavenly
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Apr-21-11 01:48 PM
some records (and pretty much all Quik's by default) are just made for the west-coast weather/lifestyle.

Quik is one of those artists that while I always liked him, hearing him out here in the proper element was like hearing it with new ears.

He & Battlecat's production style just feel so *L.A.* to me, in a way that Dre either strays from or transcends to make something more universally accessible.
2540358, Definitely. I've visited LA/Cali many times...
Posted by Brew, Thu Apr-21-11 01:58 PM
and I can see exactly what you're talking about. The radio stations play a lot of Quik/Snoop/etc. (naturally) and like you said, cruising along the coast or what have you just gives it a new life. It's uncanny.
2539923, Where the fuck does one buy this album?
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-20-11 12:48 PM
I work in New Hampshire so maybe that's my problem. But the local Newbury Comics ain't got it, Best Buy ain't got it, Target ain't got it ... fuckin fuck I just spent the last hour on a man-hunt for this shit and saw no trace of it anywhere. Any suggestions????
2539927, Try Bull Moose Music
Posted by Stevie Lee, Wed Apr-20-11 01:00 PM
I think there's one in Portsmouth and one in Salem - never been to either, though.

I tried to pick it up at the one in Portland (Maine) and they had already sold out this morning. The guy at the register said they would have more tomorrow, though.
2539930, Cool - thanks
Posted by Brew, Wed Apr-20-11 01:04 PM
I got some calls to make this afternoon to a few places. That will be one of them.
2539958, A Huge Recovery From "Trauma" IMO
Posted by Harlepolis, Wed Apr-20-11 02:18 PM
Loved it.
2540009, I still think Trauma is better though
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Apr-20-11 04:51 PM
Black Mercedez is probably still my favorite track of the two albums. He doesn't have a "Get down" on here, which became MAJOR in Chicago somehow. Trauma did have the whole sound all album though.
2540013, Really? I Think It Was Underwhelming....
Posted by Harlepolis, Wed Apr-20-11 04:58 PM
Of all Quik's discography, that album get played the least IMO.
2540014, Yeah same here
Posted by OldPro, Wed Apr-20-11 05:06 PM
I'd stop one step short of saying I hate that album

2540019, I might like it more than Under Tha Influence
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Apr-20-11 05:15 PM
I don't know, there's not a single album of his that I don't like, but I'd say that Way 2 Fonky is the one I listen to the least...and even that had some CLAAAAAAAAAASSIC tracks. I think "Mo pussy" is better than "Sweet Black pussy."

Trauma didn't have any wack songs to me at all, and everything on there fit. Only knock is it kept the same vibe and instrumentation throughout the album.
2540023, Did U Check His "Quikinstrumentals" Album?
Posted by Harlepolis, Wed Apr-20-11 05:26 PM
I have forgotten what a great producer he is until my cousin sent it to me.
2540071, I'm sure it's a collection of the instrumentals we've heard
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Apr-20-11 08:11 PM
What's the tracklist on it?
2540024, I feel the same.
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Apr-20-11 05:27 PM
>I don't know, there's not a single album of his that I don't
>like, but I'd say that Way 2 Fonky is the one I listen to the
>least...and even that had some CLAAAAAAAAAASSIC tracks. I
>think "Mo pussy" is better than "Sweet Black pussy."
>
>Trauma didn't have any wack songs to me at all, and everything
>on there fit. Only knock is it kept the same vibe and
>instrumentation throughout the album.

though by way of "Jus Lyke Compton", I listen to Way2Fonky a whole lot more than I think I do. I think Under Tha Influence is kind of underrated, though. The first time I heard it, I had to rewind (because I wasn't reading the liners, I just put in the CD) and was like... "WTF, Kweli is on this?". I forgot they were working together around that time.
2540029, "One on 1" from UTI is my fave Quik track.
Posted by JFrost1117, Wed Apr-20-11 05:36 PM
To play that for people and see their minds blown after that intro, is amazing.

Lots of car sex to that song, too. Lol
2540036, UTI def wasn't bad, but I haven't listened much since High School
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Apr-20-11 05:55 PM
back when it was released. I had the original version that had a diff version of "Come 2nyte" and "50 ways" on it, and yeah, it was cool and got major play when it dropped. But I think it lacked having a classic song..Trouble was dope, but not nearly as good as the best songs on his other albums.

2540032, I really liked Till Jesus Comes
Posted by OldPro, Wed Apr-20-11 05:47 PM
Fandango was almost ok but it really didn't have legs for me

The remix of Spur of the Moment was alright but the version on Luda's album was much better

So yeah basically that album doesn't have much to bring me back to it

wait California was on there too right? Still pretty disappointing over all project considering it's Quik.

2540431, man you tellin me you didn't love Intro For Roger?
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Apr-21-11 03:59 PM
2540873, RE: I really liked Till Jesus Comes
Posted by CanUooooFeeLiT, Fri Apr-22-11 06:06 PM
I like the remix better because it had a more fuller sound to it. Did you check out the instrumental version of Trauma. If not, hearing that will give you a better appreciation for the album, at least for the production.
2556440, Jet Set
Posted by makaveli, Sun Jun-05-11 05:41 PM
is my favorite from that album.
2540860, RE: I still think Trauma is better though
Posted by CanUooooFeeLiT, Fri Apr-22-11 05:41 PM
plus Quik came out with a instrumental version of Trauma. it made me appreciate Trauma even more. So much shit going on in the production.

But this new Quik is better overall album than Trauma. I hope Quik releases a instrumental version of the new album too. So I can really digest the production.
2541028, Somebody made up a slide to it, its popular all over the Midwest.
Posted by DJ Contact, Sat Apr-23-11 11:53 AM
He doesn't have a "Get down" on here, which became
>MAJOR in Chicago somehow.
2539960, This album is greatness...
Posted by SP1200, Wed Apr-20-11 02:22 PM
I wish all hip-hop with live instrumentation sounded THIS good.
2539966, Its Good To Hear Garry Shider
Posted by Harlepolis, Wed Apr-20-11 02:34 PM
2539967, when you play "Killer Dope"...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Apr-20-11 02:36 PM
whatever you're driving should instantly turn into an 87 Cutlass on Hundred spoke Daytons.
2539977, As long as I can bill Quik for the extra gas
Posted by JFrost1117, Wed Apr-20-11 03:27 PM
2540000, why is dj quik rhymin' so wack? he can rap/rhyme/flow better than this
Posted by buildingblock, Wed Apr-20-11 04:21 PM
and these drum programmin' and snares suck
the music is the music
it's impeccable
but it's lackin' somethin'
that grit
that dirt
that funk, that jazz
it ain't got that fire
that energy
he ain't have it in his music
really since mausberg left, since he fell out with suga free
since he broke camp with tony and them
i don't know
shit sounds manic
this wasn't fun to listen to
2540007, Here we go
Posted by OldPro, Wed Apr-20-11 04:47 PM
amazed it took 50 posts to get to this

2540033, lol...damn, Mixmaster. Just enjoy the shit
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Apr-20-11 05:47 PM
2540040, nope, can't. it feels empty and blah
Posted by buildingblock, Wed Apr-20-11 06:19 PM
2540017, amazing.
Posted by legendary9, Wed Apr-20-11 05:14 PM
i love killer dope and babylon. boogie till u conk out is a banger too.

great driving music in az, before it gets too hot. this will stay in rotation for a while.

think i'll give it to my bro for his bday today.

http://www.last.fm/user/legendary9/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/legendary9/

2540065, starts out with a bang, ends with a stone cold groove.
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Apr-20-11 08:06 PM
there are two tracks I'm "whatever" about: "Babylon" and "Across The Map"; strangely, both of those incorporated that blasted "Kanye" sawtooth lead that's popular nowadays, and both featured Bizzy Bone. Quik seemed a lil offbeat on the first, and the second just seemed like a weird gumbo of a beat.

but everything else? SHEEEEEEEEEEEEIT. "Fire and Brimstone" took it back to GOOD OL' LOS ANGELES RAP MUSIC. I'm talking about, pre-G-Funk, some ol' CMW style shit. If that had some Aladdin-style cuts that would definitely be perfect. I could hear MC Eiht on that beat.

and right after that, "Do Today" is dope. Kind of makes me think of The Family's "Screams of Passion", strangely enough.

Lots of good stuff on this record, and though it took 10 000 years to reach it, the closing "Groove" was the shit. Love that Chick Corea-sounding lead (not to mention the Chick-esque lines being played) and the rhythm guitar.

Now as for Quik's rhyming? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL @ "Ghetto Rendezvous" and double LOL @ "Poppin". Was he dissin' Dr. Dre on the latter? Said his name, and then threw a slick "Detox" line in there.

I tell you what. 20 years, Quik has YET to drop a wack album. How many can say that? He kinda reminds me of Redman, but when Redman had Malpractice to break up the streak.
2540227, We are right ><
Posted by OldPro, Thu Apr-21-11 10:39 AM
>there are two tracks I'm "whatever" about: "Babylon" and
>"Across The Map"; strangely, both of those incorporated that
>blasted "Kanye" sawtooth lead that's popular nowadays, and
>both featured Bizzy Bone. Quik seemed a lil offbeat on the
>first, and the second just seemed like a weird gumbo of a
>beat.

The same 2 I don't care for

>but everything else? SHEEEEEEEEEEEEIT. "Fire and Brimstone"
>took it back to GOOD OL' LOS ANGELES RAP MUSIC. I'm talking
>about, pre-G-Funk, some ol' CMW style shit. If that had some
>Aladdin-style cuts that would definitely be perfect. I could
>hear MC Eiht on that beat.
>
>and right after that, "Do Today" is dope. Kind of makes me
>think of The Family's "Screams of Passion", strangely enough.

I thought it was supposed to sound like Screams.... dude even name checks Prince on there. I let Silky hear it and the first thing he picked out with the linn and the fact it sounded like SOP.

>Lots of good stuff on this record, and though it took 10 000
>years to reach it, the closing "Groove" was the shit. Love
>that Chick Corea-sounding lead (not to mention the Chick-esque
>lines being played) and the rhythm guitar.

I hate the fact that groove is a hidden track.... looks like I'm going to be doing some file editing.

>Now as for Quik's rhyming? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL @ "Ghetto
>Rendezvous" and double LOL @ "Poppin". Was he dissin' Dr. Dre
>on the latter? Said his name, and then threw a slick "Detox"
>line in there.
>
>I tell you what. 20 years, Quik has YET to drop a wack album.
>How many can say that? He kinda reminds me of Redman, but when
>Redman had Malpractice to break up the streak.

Yeah dude has been pretty solid but it's been a minute since he dropped something this good.

2540408, those two tracks have reminded me I don't care for Bizzy Bone
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Apr-21-11 03:19 PM
His spazz-style doesn't work for me outside a group context while Krazyie has sounded good on a lot of stuff (Breakdown, Until We Rich, Rebel Music) outside the group in the past.

But I don't know if I can blame Bizzy Bone, I'm not sure I like the production on either of those cuts anyway.
2548824, RE: starts out with a bang, ends with a stone cold groove.
Posted by howisya, Sat May-14-11 05:14 PM
>"Fire and Brimstone"
>took it back to GOOD OL' LOS ANGELES RAP MUSIC.

great opener

>Now as for Quik's rhyming? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL @ "Ghetto
>Rendezvous" and double LOL @ "Poppin".

those were hilarious, and i'm sure plenty of feelings were hurt listening to "ghetto rendezvous"

>Was he dissin' Dr. Dre
>on the latter? Said his name, and then threw a slick "Detox"
>line in there.

i didn't hear it as a dis
2553803, RE: starts out with a bang, ends with a stone cold groove.
Posted by Harlepolis, Sat May-28-11 05:49 AM
>and right after that, "Do Today" is dope. Kind of makes me
>think of The Family's "Screams of Passion", strangely enough.

It does, it also seemed like "The Dance Electric" drum programming was incorporated into the song as well.

Great album, and I agree with whoever said that it needs to be released in instrumental form.
2540139, Aside from the snares being too loud across the board...
Posted by rhymesandammo, Thu Apr-21-11 02:10 AM
...and the Bizzy Bone/Bun B song, damn-near flawless.
2540219, This is niiiice
Posted by Laz aka Black Native, Thu Apr-21-11 10:33 AM
Hydromatic had me noddin at the light, folks looking at me like, "wtf he listening to?"
2540228, what is everyone's beef w/ the Bun B joint?
Posted by PROMO, Thu Apr-21-11 10:42 AM
you don't like lead synths or something?

2540366, I think it's a song that folks with a strong system will like most
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Apr-21-11 02:13 PM
Rodney O being on it shows that it's an 80's throwback type track, so I don't mind it. But I can tell it'll sound a LOT better with a strong sub.
2540419, 1st thing first one bizzy bone feature was more than enough
Posted by Hellyeah, Thu Apr-21-11 03:34 PM
he sounds GOOD on babylon but on "across the map" he sounds completely out of place

and yeah that lead synth and the whole beat sound extra cheap...it would fit well on some random soundcloud rappers mixtape...but on this album?? naaaaahh quik can do MUCH better than this
2540432, I think he was trying too hard to make one of them
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Apr-21-11 04:00 PM
"T.I."-style beats... but he could have used a different lead synth (the background was dope). Quik's verse on that was dope... but Bizzy damn near crashed that joint.
2540434, hmmm...i fux w/ that song. i guess i don't see the beef w/ it.
Posted by PROMO, Thu Apr-21-11 04:09 PM
but i love lead synths.

shit knocks in the whip.
2540257, ?'s from my OG chola co-worker:
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Apr-21-11 11:34 AM
She's walking by my car while "G-Shit" is playing, and asks:

Whoa, did that guy just say Piru?

That music sounds like its from Cali. Am I right?

Then she busts out laughing at the MJ breakdown.
2540329, like i said in the other thread my only problem with this album is
Posted by Hellyeah, Thu Apr-21-11 01:27 PM
the Bun track...that was totally unnecessary

the rest of record is pretty much flawless...once you reach track #11 it's a wrap

tonight i'm gonna give it the ultimate test with my headphones
2540365, see reply #71
Posted by PROMO, Thu Apr-21-11 02:10 PM
2540383, A+
Posted by bizzz, Thu Apr-21-11 02:40 PM
Really impressed. Already repeated the whole thing several times since yesterday. Can't get enough of it.
2540788, Haven't heard it all
Posted by Coco la chapelle, Fri Apr-22-11 02:34 PM
The few tracks I've listened to are fire
2540823, Any idea whose name is edited out in the third verse of Killer Dope?
Posted by Bombastic, Fri Apr-22-11 03:52 PM
2548825, i wanna know, too
Posted by howisya, Sat May-14-11 05:14 PM
2556445, Me Too
Posted by makaveli, Sun Jun-05-11 05:51 PM
2556730, Knowing Quik it's probably someone that's featured on the album
Posted by micMajestic, Mon Jun-06-11 02:24 PM
2556733, You mad at him?
Posted by Brew, Mon Jun-06-11 02:29 PM
you've made two straight posts in here expressing anger at the man.

You friends with his sisters or something?
2556862, I think it's kinda fascinating and hilarious actually.
Posted by micMajestic, Mon Jun-06-11 09:02 PM
>you've made two straight posts in here expressing anger at
>the man.
>
>You friends with his sisters or something?

I'm a fan of Quik, sorry if I sound a little callous but his (alleged) intense temperament amuses me.
2556864, It is kinda funny.
Posted by Brew, Mon Jun-06-11 09:11 PM
I'm with you...it really seemed like you had an agenda tho haha.

But yea, that video doesn't really explain why he went to jail and if that's really all there is to it ... wow.
2540857, I like it a lot, not my fav so far, but Quik goodness nonetheless
Posted by MzAshton, Fri Apr-22-11 05:23 PM
I'm loving the Jon B/ Quik sound

http://www.twitter.com/MzAshton
http://www.last.fm/user/MzAshton/
2541048, yeah, I was about to say Vex_id worked real well with Quik on this
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat Apr-23-11 02:05 PM
the vocals fit those tracks pretty well
2541140, LMAO!
Posted by MzAshton, Sun Apr-24-11 01:15 AM

http://www.twitter.com/MzAshton
http://www.last.fm/user/MzAshton/
2540968, mistermaxxx review >>
Posted by Hellyeah, Sat Apr-23-11 03:28 AM
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2TWB6KBC0DL9J/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2TWB6KBC0DL9J

how come dude stopped posting here?? he was one of the funniest cats round these parts
2541043, *Cartoon-rubs eyes* 7449 reviews?!!!?!
Posted by JFrost1117, Sat Apr-23-11 01:18 PM
2541045, see that's why he needs to come back...folks made fun of him
Posted by Hellyeah, Sat Apr-23-11 01:30 PM
but he was a great contributor
2541117, now that you mention it, I haven't seen maxxx in a minute
Posted by Bombastic, Sat Apr-23-11 08:26 PM
did I miss something or is he just taking a break?
2541255, I haven't seen "Turkeys" in a minute huh??
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Sun Apr-24-11 05:38 PM
2556823, ^^Ol short turkey-counting turkey.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Jun-06-11 06:23 PM
2541114, Quik's Groove #9, yo.
Posted by Anfernee, Sat Apr-23-11 08:11 PM
Man.

Dude never fails with these joints.

Also, this album is fucking awesome. My favorite rap album of the year thus far.
2541433, DJ Quik's The Book of David album........
Posted by I. Motion, Mon Apr-25-11 12:09 PM
just a amazing piece of music. Dre who?
2547190, Finally got my mothafuckin copy.
Posted by Brew, Wed May-11-11 09:18 AM
And this shit is great. Just completed my first listen through and I love it. Only song I could say "eh" about was "Poppin". Otherwise, this shit is damn near flawless. I'm also all set with Bizzy in any regard, but I liked both songs he was on despite him, so he didn't ruin it for me. Just could do without him, basically.

Question, who is Quik dissing in "The End?"? I'm @ work so I can't really turn it up and focus like I want to but he kinda rushes through the line anyway...it's something like "old bitch ass n*gga ____ said he never heard of me..." or some shit. Who's he talkin about?

Killer Dope...the title speaks for itself. This fool just doesn't make wack music.
2547544, The bass on this album BUMPS in the Acura...
Posted by Brew, Wed May-11-11 06:19 PM
holy shit.
2547280, Another Quality Album
Posted by makaveli, Wed May-11-11 11:47 AM
from DJ Quik, good stuff.
2547539, Time Stands Still with Dwele is a smokin hot track!
Posted by Record Playa, Wed May-11-11 06:09 PM
2547547, RE: DJ Quik's The Book of David album post
Posted by Original Juice, Wed May-11-11 06:36 PM
One of the select few who actually seem to get better with time..

White Bronco.
2555929, A lil video/interview. He explains "Ghetto Rendezvous" (link)
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Jun-03-11 06:45 PM
http://rapradar.com/2011/06/03/dj-quik-covers-la-weekly/

The whole thing is dope, but the part about his sister starts around 6:30 and on.
2556413, really enjoyed watching that, not at all surprised about the song
Posted by howisya, Sun Jun-05-11 03:38 PM
thanks
2556483, Flipping out over bullshit must be a family trait then
Posted by micMajestic, Sun Jun-05-11 08:09 PM
The story doesn't add up.
2556034, STILL BANGIN NM
Posted by bruceLeroy, Sat Jun-04-11 02:08 AM
2556141, Yeah man the album has legs
Posted by OldPro, Sat Jun-04-11 01:42 PM

Latest episode- Silk's Love Lounge Presents: Dis Iz 4 Da Luva N U
2556411, He put a lot of feeling into it.
Posted by Brew, Sun Jun-05-11 03:32 PM
You can tell. Songs like "Killer Dope" ...man, fuck it the whole damn album, you can really feel what he's saying; it's easy to tell he put a lot of heart and effort into it.

I'm still bumping it, listened to it again today. Won't leave my car for a long time I reckon.
2556126, smh quik....he should've replaced "across the map" with this track
Posted by Hellyeah, Sat Jun-04-11 01:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V60CiPI8aV0
2556412, is this the only source for that song?
Posted by howisya, Sun Jun-05-11 03:37 PM
seems like a really random exclusive otherwise
2556418, yeah it is
Posted by Hellyeah, Sun Jun-05-11 03:50 PM
2556427, WTF is this!!!!! Maaaaan he needed this on there!!!!
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Sun Jun-05-11 04:56 PM
2556452, Yeah That's Nice
Posted by makaveli, Sun Jun-05-11 06:08 PM
wish it was on the album.
2557181, Is Quik dissing Pharrell Williams on The End?
Posted by Brew, Tue Jun-07-11 12:21 PM
"Pharrell asked me why I gangbang/that ain'tcha fuckin business, stay out my lane mane..."

Did I hear that line wrong?
2557197, Sounds Like It
Posted by makaveli, Tue Jun-07-11 12:35 PM
i actually think that line is pretty funny.
2557198, Yea me too, I just didn't...
Posted by Brew, Tue Jun-07-11 12:37 PM
know if there was any kind of backstory I hadn't heard that's out there?