Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectc'mon man...you know better than this.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2537278&mesg_id=2537498
2537498, c'mon man...you know better than this.
Posted by disco dj, Wed Apr-13-11 04:20 PM
>>you HAVE to admit, Hip-Hop is the LEAST *musical* of all
>>genres of Music.
>
>You'll note the * so bear with me first.
>
>Gregorian Chant is monophonic, little rhythmic no harmonic
>declarations. Just one monophonic line.

Gregorian chants are Harmonies. If not, there'd be ONE cat singing. Not five. just like Doo-Wop. A low cat, a middle cat and a high cat. You know DAMNED well Gregorian Chants have harmony.

>
>>You don't use notes,
>>phrasing, scales, or any of the other elements of
>>"traditional" music.
>
>Actually they all are used quite regularly throughout hip-hop,
>but no one knows how to talk about it, because the academics
>aren't writing about that and creating the language for
>discourse.
>

so you're blaming the lack of knowledge amongst Hip-Hop heads on the Academics? I thought Hip-Hop created it's OWN language. C'mon, man...

>
>Some of the greatest jazz musicians in the world couldn't name
>a c-major scale. Doesn't mean they weren't musical.

SOME. I see your point, but for the MOST part, Jazz musicians read music. If reading music wasn't such a big part of it, you wouldn't have used that as your argument.

>
>Why must something comply with other formats to be considered
>in its own right?
>

because as with ANY other system there's RULES. Why does 2+2=4? Because we use the Base 10 numeral system, and within the confines of that system, 2 + 2 must ALWAYS equal 4. Otherwise, the system falls apart.

So don't give me all that "Western blah blah blah" shit. Because prior to this discussion, music follows the laws of mathmatics, and if we use those rules, then we have to follow ALL of them.

>But you can't make a classic with just any sample or any drum
>break.

That's subjective. We both know it. We can;t even AGREE on the definition of Classic anymore.

( I'll address the last part later. I'm on the run and can't break it down right now. Good topic though)