Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWell, I hate to put out a fire with Gasoline, but in THIS case...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2537278&mesg_id=2537293
2537293, Well, I hate to put out a fire with Gasoline, but in THIS case...
Posted by disco dj, Wed Apr-13-11 09:40 AM
you HAVE to admit, Hip-Hop is the LEAST *musical* of all genres of Music.

There's NO technical aspect to it. You don't use notes, phrasing, scales, or any of the other elements of "traditional" music. Hip-Hop is almost Anti-music. In that you don't HAVE to be musical to be good at Hip-Hop. When was the last time you heard a Hip-Hop artist, producer or fan talk about the G Minor Scale, or Note Selection. Shit, there aren't even ( scratch ) solos in Hip Hop anymore. So any semblance to most other genres is pretty much gone. You can construct a good Hip-Hop song without ANY notes at all. ( See also, most of Run DMC's catalog pre 1990. I'm speaking of that 'All Drum Beats, no samples' kinda stuff ).

So from a scholar's point of view, there's nothing to it BUT the cultural relevance.

I think you're taking it so personal because you're a Fan of the music. As a Dance music fan, it gets my goat that people think it's all that silly Fist Pumpin' shit. But it goes with the territory. And to be TOTALLY honest, I've always had a problem with "scholars" trying to dissect subcultures ANYWAY.