Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectit is true that image has always been here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2535407&mesg_id=2535981
2535981, it is true that image has always been here
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Fri Apr-08-11 04:00 PM
But maybe this latter day image rubs you the wrong way cuz it seems like artists are running towards an image constructed for them, as opposed to constructing their own over time.

To pick a date lets say the old 1997 year, when media consolidation and puff had their hold on music, rap in particular. So while Afkap is right about artists dreaming up their image alongside their music since forever, I think after the 90s the image alot of black performers were adopting were more templates than anything else. I mean in the early to mid 90s, Cam-ron, Murder Mase and (ja rule was it?) were supposed to be in a group together, just hardcore rhymers who spit about hood shit, like any other NY centric group --an image of their own devising. After the 90s their incarnations were totally different, the Thug love tupac clone in Rule, the indifferently cool drug dealer in cam ron, and the super baller in Ma$e. I think you are saying that images now are sold first, before the artist and their voice (in this set up, chris brown, omarion, trey songz, etc., are all the same person in fact, vying for that same post-Usher/R Kelly spot), if that is what you are saying, then agree.

Your whole insistence on returning people to perfecting instruments tho, is a romantic viewpoint, as it is obvious virtuosity is not needed for classics.