Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI would somehow like to (again) blame Hip-Hop for it...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2535407&mesg_id=2535543
2535543, I would somehow like to (again) blame Hip-Hop for it...
Posted by disco dj, Thu Apr-07-11 04:20 PM
**edited for spelling*

I think it happened once people in Hip-Hop started to identify as a fan of a certain artist's crew.

Meaning, once Posse's came into play, Fans felt that they had the right to 'belong' to that crew*. So naturally, whatever THOSE guys liked or hated, you had to attach yourself to their philosophy. Meaning, if Thug MC hated MC Mellow, YOU, as a member of the 'ThugMafiaFamilia' had to hate him too. And if Thug MC pointed out that MC Mellow liked to eat Vegan meals, and made fun of it, YOU had to make fun of it, as well as clown anybody ELSE who was a bitchassmotherfucker that ate Vegan meals.

So yeah, once artists made their likes and dislikes about other artists public, Fans felt the need to jump in.

*- and in my opinion, there's NOTHING more ridiculous than fans naming themselves as part of an entertainers 'crew'. He will NEVER meet you OR acknowledge your presence. I've seen cats wearing shit like No Limit and Ruff Ryders medallions as if they were in the group. And there was s a dude in my neighborhood who had "Dipset" on his car. Negro, if you live around the corner from me, you ain't kickin' it with the Diplomats.