Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIlladelp Halflife
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2534701&mesg_id=2535320
2535320, Illadelp Halflife
Posted by bentagain, Thu Apr-07-11 05:22 AM
This album and Atliens are neck and neck, but since you went with Aquemini, I let that be the tie breaker...

Do You Want More was dope, and I was a fan as soon as I heard The Lesson as the B-Side to Distortion. Rahzel did my head in. Proceed to Silent Treatment, I was definitely checking for the follow up...

And then they take the live band sound digital. Black and Malik in straight beast mode. The coffee shop, incense burning, finger snapping vibe that dominated the 1st album was replaced with raw raps, back and forth, cameos, etc...

They really stretched out on that one. They kind of fell into a format on subsequent albums, but I feel like they made a sonic jump from the 1st to the 2nd album

"Intro"
"Respond/React"
"Section"
"Panic!!!!!!!"
"It Just Don't Stop"
"Episodes" (featuring Dice Raw)
"Push Up Ya Lighter" (featuring Bahamadia)
"What They Do" (featuring Raphael Saadiq)
"? vs. Scratch (The Token DJ Cut)"
"Concerto of the Desperado"
"Clones" (featuring Dice Raw & M.A.R.S.)
"UNIverse at War" (featuring Common)
"No Alibi"
"Dave vs. Us"
"No Great Pretender"
"The Hypnotic" (featuring D'Angelo)
"Ital (The Universal Side)" (featuring Q-Tip)
"One Shine" (featuring Cassandra Wilson & Joshua Redman)
"The Adventures in Wonderland (performed by Ursula Rucker)"
"Outro"

Who's f'n with that. Section got the hip-hop quotable (when the source still mattered). Concerto is my favorite Black. Shit One Shine gets me there, and no one is even spitting. Where did Ursula go? Malik's solo jawn...banger. Bahama D...c'mon son