Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: my single favorite album in hip hop history.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2534701&mesg_id=2534764
2534764, RE: my single favorite album in hip hop history.
Posted by GMD, Tue Apr-05-11 08:12 PM
For me, it's Whut Thee Album by Redman. I'm not usually an album guy, I prefer taking my favorite tracks and making a tape/ CD but this is one that I enjoyed from start to finish.

I was a huge EPMD fan but I wasn't feeling the first single "Blow Your Mind". The late Kenny K (Digital Underground) used to have a radio show on the weekend where he played uncensored tracks from the latest albums. He played "Redman vs Reggie Noble" one night and that's what piqued my interest.

The vibe and fun in the album is what got me. The only album that felt nearly as fun was "A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing". It was well produced in the same way that "Niggaz4life" was. Not necessarily speaking about the beats, just the way it all comes together from the skits to the sound EFX etc. Just a fun listen.

The songs sound better in the context of the album, which to me is the mark of a great album. They're still dope standalone but they sound better when you listen the whole way through.

Listening to it takes me right back to late '92-early '93 when I used to alternate between this album and Bushwick's "Little Big Man". I got them both for X-Mas '92.

I wouldn't rank it as the +BEST+ album but it's my favorite.