Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectHahaha. Word.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2534701&mesg_id=2534740
2534740, Hahaha. Word.
Posted by Brew, Tue Apr-05-11 06:39 PM
And that said I think I go with Resurrection. The reason I had a tough time was because with Aquemini and 3 Feet High there's so much creativity it's hard to pick against them.

But while Resurrection doesn't have the creative angle those two have, what it DOES have is incredibly dense lyricism and wordplay. This was just brought up in a post recently: to this day, I listen to that album and pick up lyrical nuances and wordplay that Common used that I never noticed before. And even the ones I already picked up on get me going to this day. I still rewind parts of verses and laugh to myself while listening to all that wordplay, it's just so damn fun and impressive lyrically.

And in terms of production, the backdrop couldn't have been better for that type of wordplay. Soulful, simple, boombap beats with short and sweet hooks that just complement the density of the lyrics/the personality of the MC better than any album I've ever heard.

I can't think of another album that I've listened to more that still holds the power this album does over me when I hear it. I'm almost giddy when I hear some of the lyrics. It's literally like a class in how to engage people in what is being said rather than just the beats alone. The consistency of the sound with No ID and Ynot for inhouse production just couldn't have been better.

So yea. That'd have to be my #1. Not one bad moment on that album, not one.