Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWho are your "greatest hits = good enough" artists?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2533106&mesg_id=2533106
2533106, Who are your "greatest hits = good enough" artists?
Posted by dalecooper, Fri Apr-01-11 12:33 PM
I mean artists that you like, maybe even really like, but you are content to own a greatest hits/best of/anthology rather than collecting albums? Not necessarily confined to hip hop - name anybody.

For me there are few of them in hip hop, but Busta Rhymes is one. I like his best tracks enough to want to own them, but I've never heard one album by him that I thought, "I really need to have this." A solid collection has been sufficient.

I have more of these in the realm of classic rock and pop acts. Led Zeppelin - I like them but I've heard everything by them a lot, and I just need to occasionally spin some classics by them to augment what I hear all over the place anyway. The two-disc "Remasters" is fine for me. Same with Tom Petty, who I REALLY like, but most of his albums are hit and miss, and the two disc anthology covers most of the hits. The only Petty album I currently own is "Wildflowers," which came out after the anthology was done (so no overlapping tracks), and is one of his best 2 or 3 albums as well.

Also of interest, maybe: artists you USED to be OK with their greatest hits, and eventually got sucked in enough to replace that with albums. I went through that with David Bowie (now own 8 or 9 albums by him), Jimi Hendrix (now own almost everything), and some others.