Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI'm a fan of all those you guys mentioned plus love:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2529520&mesg_id=2534346
2534346, I'm a fan of all those you guys mentioned plus love:
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Apr-05-11 12:36 AM
Boss Playa<<<<<<<<this joint is one of my favorite Snoop cuts ever, shit is so smooth but with a touch of menace.
Paper'd Up
I Miss That Bitch
Wasn't Your Fault
Batman & Robin
Lollipop
Suited & Booted

I just love the feel of this album & where Snoop is as a man/artist at this point in time. Finally free of No Limit, which was necessary just to get him away from Death Row, this feels like Snoop had a weight lifted off his shoulders & could do what he wanted to do.

It feels more West-Coast than any record he'd made in awhile (with Jelly Roll, Fredwreck, Battlecat, Meech Wells, E-Swift.....basically every Westcoast producer that mattered outside the two biggest) but then again it also had Snoop on multiple Neptunes, Hi-Tek, & Primo tracks.

The most pimped-out album he'd done but that fit the whole motif of him evolving & becoming his own man rather than just being about going hard on hoes (and he saved his best slaps for Suge).

There's even a bit of dare I say maturity on this one that felt natural, coming during the time with the weed hiatus, football league start-up, etc.

He carried the momentum from Paid The Cost into R&G/Blue Carpet but to me this album was the catalyst that for me remains the best of the three.

Like any Snoop album not named Doggystyle, there's no justifying the 75+ minute track length but you pick your spots & there's a lot of great stuff remaining after you locate the joints you skip.