Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWho's Talking About Grooming?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2523755&mesg_id=2524699
2524699, Who's Talking About Grooming?
Posted by Harlepolis, Sun Mar-13-11 09:18 PM
I'm talking musically, ya'll.

If we're gonna get into image and turning human being into mere "brands", then hell yes lol major record labels are falling over each other nowadays to package the artist to make him/her visually accessible.

Musically, on the other hand? No emphasis whatsoever. Artists are signed and expected to be successful from debut. Stevie did start with a bang("Fingertips") but he had to deliver 6 or 5 albums before he was warned that he might get thrown out.

Keep a close look @ Drake & Nicki, they just released successful debut albums, but let their sophomore albums bring some moderate results, and you'll hear a different tune from whoever hired them. The point is, they let him find his voice/sound. I'm sure if Young Money signed a young Stevie Wonder, he would be out on the streets long before you'll hear a "Talking Book" out of him.

Mind you, I'm not harboring any illusions, the industry has always been about sales quota, but nowadays they're blatant when it comes to their indifference to the artist's talent,,,,,or lack of in many cases.