Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNo snark intended, but $3? Really?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2520159&mesg_id=2520379
2520379, No snark intended, but $3? Really?
Posted by third_i_vision, Fri Mar-04-11 03:54 PM
I dig a lot of your beats (still got "2 my booz" on the old hard drive), but isn't $3 a little too close to being, you know.....free?

The difference between free, $3, and $5 is worth talking about, in my opinion.

Lots of people won't listen to the project at all because they can't download it for free. $5 seems to be the going rate for lots of digital albums on Bandcamp, so that seems like a decent price point if you're gonna charge folks. But $3 is just...I don't know. It almost seems like it cheapens the actual product. Kinda like producers saying that you can "lease" their beats for $10.

I *definitely* understand where you're coming from though (as far as charging a super low price). My J Dilla Rock Samples mixes have clocked over 6,000 downloads in the past 9 months. Makes me wonder what would've happened if I charged just $1 for both volumes. My guess is that I would've made a few hundred bucks, but they wouldn't have gotten anywhere NEAR the publicity they received as a free download. Guess I'll never know.

Anyway, good luck with the project, and I'll definitely check it out.