Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI feel like I heard her growing up
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2517488&mesg_id=2518978
2518978, I feel like I heard her growing up
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Mar-02-11 10:10 AM
>in Philadelphia growing up.

maybe on Michael Tearson shows... he and Ed Sciaky were the two classic Philly DJs in the '80s I think woulda played her. Maybe Helen Leicht too back when WIOQ was a player. Gene Shay of course, too, but he wasn't commercial. And of course by 1991, WXPN had morphed into a no-longer-a-college-station powerhouse and she's been on their playlist from jump.

At any rate, she was easily known to classic rock fans because of her associations and esp. the writing of 'Woodstock', though the CSNY cover is the only version that got any classic rock airplay. Plus the fact that a few of her songs were pop standards with steady currecny in the '80s (I sang 'Clouds' with my elementary school chorus ca. 1982, which was probably the first time I heard one of her songs). And I would has assumed that in the latter 1990s when the Isle of Wight DVD came out that her performance there kept her known.

At any rate, growing up I didn't know many classic rock fans that *didn't* know who she is and know at least a few songs.

>*maybe* Big Yellow Taxi on a special occasion.
>
>That's about it though.
>
>Real Joni joints are tough to work in between 'We're An
>American Band' and 'Carry On My Wayward Son'.

yeah, but not so much between 'carry on' and 'dust in the wind,' you know?