Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectTRUTH
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2516989&mesg_id=2517579
2517579, TRUTH
Posted by SPIN_ONE, Sun Feb-27-11 02:10 PM
Glad someone came on here and just laid it out.

Sadly, this is the demise of the music business. (ironically still called a "business")

If my son/daughter ever came to me and said, "Dad, I want to play music to make a living...."

I'd give them a snide "smarten up Nas" comment like, "Ok sweetie, AFTER you go to college and establish a well paying career...you can be in any band you want...." It would be no different if my son said, "I'm going to be a major league baseball player one day!" (Yeah, son....we all had a dream once....now go do your homework.)

I'm all for the romantic argument of "do what you want"....but for Christ's sake.....for 9 out of 10 musicians - its just a grind.

Just go to your local bar and ask the acoustic guitar player how kush his life is....

And chances are:

He can sing pretty good.
He can play pretty good.
He probably has a local fan base.

To me - music can be a career.....but in the past 10 years, for the MAJORITY of people who sing/play an instrument....the business/fans (including the post above this one) have let them all know that its better off being a hobby.

Sadly, since 2000, the "value" of music has deteriorated to nothing.