Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I'll do my best to explain...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2516989&mesg_id=2517267
2517267, RE: I'll do my best to explain...
Posted by Coco la chapelle, Sat Feb-26-11 11:52 AM
>
>>Of course but this is pretty different, people can basically
>>listen, to music (everywhere) for free with those websites.
>>Would you agree to make your music available on one of those
>>websites for a fix ammount of money ? How much ?
>
>you mean like iTunes? Beatport? eMusic etc? That's what people
>are doing now...
>
>or do you mean a monthly subscription?

I don't know what you have there in the USA. So excuse me if Im being long for nothing.

Here (in France) we have those websites where entire albums are streaming for free and for an unlimited ammount of time. I use 2 of them : Spotify and Deezer. You don't have to pay anything to have access to all of those albums at home, you don't even have to sign in for free ... But if you want to use it on a portable device like a smartphone, and listen to all the music in the world anytime, you have to pay like 10 euros/ month ($15).

To be specific, you have access to 3 700 000 songs for $15 / months, which means a single song is free (virtual price of a song : 0.000004 cent virtual price of an album : 0.00004 cent).

Of course labels get paid by those website. Major labels get paid like 5 millions $ (for the right) + 1.5 cent each time somebody plays a song. And of course the website's revenues come from advertisement (like TV). I actually think it would be better if music worked with the same economuic model than TV. It would be great if an artist could make a direct deal with those website too, not only itunes and other platform where the consumer has to pay for the music.

>"Hey I have a band, The Whoever's, and we're trying to play a
>show in your venue. They have a good fan base, and we charted
>at 180 on last weeks Billboard, and sold 5k in your city last
>week. So, we think a lot of those fans would come out to see
>us..."
>
>
>So the long and short of it is, you have to give venues a
>REASON to let you play there. There don't care if you're
>'totally fuckin awesome', if nobody's ever heard of you. Why
>do you think big acts play big halls? Because those vast
>amounts of people are the people who are familiar with their
>work.

Ok but once you have a good fanbase, sales does not really matter anymore ?

As for the 100K sales that I was talking about in my other post : those are first week sales ! Im pretty sure an album that starts with 100K is going to make at least 200K before the second album is out.