Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: furthermore...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2516989&mesg_id=2517096
2517096, RE: furthermore...
Posted by araQual, Sat Feb-26-11 01:54 AM
>>So let's just say I DID want to go that route. How much
>>headache would I have to go through to find THAT many people
>>willing to work for free? Let alone people who'd work for
>free
>>and then let me turn around and SELL the shit we've done?

true. ive been friends with these ppl for a long long time tho, we're like family. and like i mentioned we're all employed, everyone who would be involved has fulltime employment and earns a comfy wage. money's NEVER been an issue when it came time to jam (we record a lot of our jams too, mind you, even started a once-a-week jam sesh night at our own venue a few yrs back which was awesome).

>Do your friends offer the exact aesthetic you're looking for
>in your work?

i have to say im speaking from a very specific example, and yes. the core unit is made up of me, my older brother and our mutual friend (the same guy who runs the music center/studio). we've been a loose unit for round 4yrs now and we just click, a lot of time we'll predict changes in the jams we just came up with simultaneously. that and we got tendrils that run in many different directions that can tap the talents who also happen to be our very good friends, to help out n play with. we once had a total of 12 musicians have a recorded jam with us, was one of the most epic experiences of my life lol. so yeah, the foundations are solid. no one would be exploited in anyway.

>I've never been a fan of "use your friends just because
>they're around" shit... LIke, if I need a jazz trumpet and I
>got a friend who plays trumpet but only classical? And then
>you say "fuck it, he'll do..."
>
>For me, there is too much compromise there... and I think it
>shows a distressing lack of respect for one's art.

oh i understand that very well. luckily im surrounded by some pretty accomlished musicians n writers n vocalists m we all seem to be on the same levels n wavelengths. so i know whenever i call on one of em to gimme a guitar solo or provide some vocals on something im working on, they CHEERILY say yes and come over n lay it down. sofar its been magical and no one's fucked up the vibe. i guess im just explaining my optimism when it comes to that option.

V.