Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectyou keep on talking about 'obliged'
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2516989&mesg_id=2517064
2517064, you keep on talking about 'obliged'
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Sat Feb-26-11 12:48 AM
>if it doesn't completely suck and i'm not paying for it, maybe
>i just don't LIKE it? im not obliged to buy n support based
>offa that.

When I have said a couple of times that you are not obliged to even LISTEN to the music, let alone buy it. That's what you seem not to get.

But no disrespect, V... your argument just comes off pretty childish and unrealistic and out of touch with the real world to me.

You're talking about getting free studio time from your friends and shit... Do you realize that there are overhead costs involved in your friend running that studio?

And although he might let YOU do work there for free, if he doesn't charge SOMEBODY sooner or later, he ain't gonna have that studio for long?

Ditto your friend the pro photographer... It's really cool of him to do some free work for you, but if he did that for every one of his creative friends who needed free flicks, when would he have the time to do work that PAYS?

Look... if you have the luck or the hustle to get some shit for free, that's awesome for you. But to suggest that EVERYBODY should be expected to operate in this way... I'm sorry, it is just not a sustainable business model.

Which is why I say it hurts music and art as a whole.

And I wish people would stop talking about how technology has freed us from all these expenses anyway. I mean, that works for some records but I'd hate to think that ALL music should be made that way.

I am loathe to live in a world where we can't have another record like Pet Sounds or Thriller... Am I saying that I want to see a return of the disgustingly excessive recording sessions? Not necessarily.... but it makes me sad to think that all we have to look forward from now on is some shitty, bedroom-recorded Fruity Loops "productions."

People just need to grow up and realize that nothing in this world comes free... especially nothing of value. It's babies who expect to always get what they want, how and when they want it. http://splicd.com/cwssN6ShJjg/630/638